Meaningless friendly
Add Reply
MH
2024-09-07 23:30:29 UTC
USA- Canada (Men's)

1-2. Did not watch, but apparently Canada were indeed better. Goals
from Shaffelburg and David. Lineup not too different from what Marsch
was doing in the Copa America (4-4-2). A lot of Canadians now playing
in the EU - including Bair, Koné, David, Bombito and Cornelius in France
(former two are injured though), Davies in Germany, Larin in Spain,
Eustaquio in Portugal, and Choiniere with Grasshoppers in Switzerland.
Buchanan is also injured, and I doubt he will get much playing time with
Inter Milan anyway.

Anyway first victory in the US in ages (67 years) and only the second
one ever. Yes, Canada have not won in the USA since before I was born.
The Doctor
2024-09-08 00:44:38 UTC
Post by MH
USA- Canada (Men's)
1-2. Did not watch, but apparently Canada were indeed better. Goals
from Shaffelburg and David. Lineup not too different from what Marsch
was doing in the Copa America (4-4-2). A lot of Canadians now playing
in the EU - including Bair, Koné, David, Bombito and Cornelius in France
(former two are injured though), Davies in Germany, Larin in Spain,
Eustaquio in Portugal, and Choiniere with Grasshoppers in Switzerland.
Buchanan is also injured, and I doubt he will get much playing time with
Inter Milan anyway.
Anyway first victory in the US in ages (67 years) and only the second
one ever. Yes, Canada have not won in the USA since before I was born.
Same here.
--
Member - Liberal International This is ***@nk.ca Ici ***@nk.ca
Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism ;
Silver Skull
2024-09-08 02:24:40 UTC
How can it be a meaningless game when we beat the US of A on their own
soil?

There's nothing meaningless, or friendly, about it. Take that Yanks!
MH
2024-09-08 03:43:05 UTC
You are a fellow Canadian? Where ?
Silver Skull

Plus précisément; Vive les Nordiques !
The Doctor
Werner Pichler
2024-09-10 07:26:31 UTC
Post by Silver Skull
Plus précisément; Vive les Nordiques !
<3

Ramenez les Nordiques à Québec tabarnak!

Ciao,
Werner
Blueshirt
2024-09-10 09:10:35 UTC
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by Silver Skull
Plus précisément; Vive les Nordiques !
<3
Ramenez les Nordiques à Québec tabarnak!
Didn't someone once say 'rec.sport.hockey' is THAT WAY->

:-)

BUT... Mr Bettman would say it's too small a market and we can
make more $$ elsewhere... so there!
Werner Pichler
2024-09-10 14:11:29 UTC
Post by Blueshirt
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by Silver Skull
Plus précisément; Vive les Nordiques !
<3
Ramenez les Nordiques à Québec tabarnak!
Didn't someone once say 'rec.sport.hockey' is THAT WAY->
:-)
BUT... Mr Bettman would say it's too small a market and we can
make more $$ elsewhere... so there!
He wouldn’t actually say the above, he would say he
wants to ‘develop the game’!

Also, in the end Bettman is only doing what the
owners want him to do.

Ciao,
Werner
Silver Skull
2024-09-11 13:33:41 UTC
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by Blueshirt
Post by Werner Pichler
Ramenez les Nordiques à Québec tabarnak!
Didn't someone once say 'rec.sport.hockey' is THAT WAY->
BUT... Mr Bettman would say it's too small a market and we can
make more $$ elsewhere... so there!
He wouldn’t actually say the above, he would say he
wants to ‘develop the game’!
Yes, develop the game, of course.
Post by Werner Pichler
Also, in the end Bettman is only doing what the
owners want him to do.
I'm pretty sure Commissioner Bettman is in the "Let's bring the NHL to
the southern cities of the USA with a completely opposite climate to
cold Canada and where no one actually cares about hockey, but there are
TV markets that have no major live sport to show so think of the
potential $$" camp.

I can understand the team owners going along with that idea.
Binder Dundat
2024-09-11 17:03:16 UTC
Post by Silver Skull
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by Blueshirt
Post by Werner Pichler
Ramenez les Nordiques à Québec tabarnak!
We already cater enough to the Quebekers in this country.
Post by Silver Skull
Post by Werner Pichler
Also, in the end Bettman is only doing what the
owners want him to do.
I'm pretty sure Commissioner Bettman is in the "Let's bring the NHL to
the southern cities of the USA with a completely opposite climate to
cold Canada and where no one actually cares about hockey, but there are
TV markets that have no major live sport to show so think of the
potential $$" camp.
I can understand the team owners going along with that idea.
I dont remember the details, but the reason the Nordiques left for
Colorado was that they were not financially stable and had not been for
years, possibly even when they were WHA?
If you want a little small market team, I would rather see a team in
Halifax.
Silver Skull
2024-09-12 19:35:05 UTC
Post by Binder Dundat
Post by Silver Skull
I'm pretty sure Commissioner Bettman is in the "Let's bring the NHL to
the southern cities of the USA with a completely opposite climate to
cold Canada and where no one actually cares about hockey, but there are
TV markets that have no major live sport to show so think of the
potential $$" camp.
I can understand the team owners going along with that idea.
I dont remember the details, but the reason the Nordiques left for
Colorado was that they were not financially stable
My recollection is that they wanted a new arena and had no support for
it.
And now we have the beautiful Centre Vidéotron with only a junior team
using it. But, NHL teams will honor us by coming up to play pre-season
games in our lovely arena. Aren't we lucky ?

Of course, we will have to turn out to watch the two LA Kings games in a
couple of weeks or they will say the market for hockey is too small in
Quebec. { Then the NHL will go and put an expansion team in Hamilton ! }
Silver Skull
2024-09-20 21:23:02 UTC
they will say the market for hockey is too small in Quebec
{ Then the NHL will go and put an expansion team in Hamilton ! }
That was a joke by me of course.

More expansion is supposedly on the cards. I expect plenty of excuses
after the forthcoming NHL team owners meeting why Quebec are not in
consideration for an expansion slot.

https://x.com/andystrickland/status/1836768357036568980?t=VUGdRrz_VzXeZTBjvqaZqA

Some might say more teams = more goals. The reality is more teams equals
more $ for the owners. Let nobody be fooled that it's about talent,
roster spots or goals.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5779942/2024/09/20/nhl-expansion-teams-scoring/
MH
2024-09-20 22:49:55 UTC
Post by Silver Skull
they will say the market for hockey is too small in Quebec
{ Then the NHL will go and put an expansion team in Hamilton ! }
That was a joke by me of course.
More expansion is supposedly on the cards. I expect plenty of excuses
after the forthcoming NHL team owners meeting why Quebec are not in
consideration for an expansion slot.
https://x.com/andystrickland/status/1836768357036568980?t=VUGdRrz_VzXeZTBjvqaZqA
Some might say more teams = more goals. The reality is more teams equals
more $ for the owners. Let nobody be fooled that it's about talent,
roster spots or goals.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5779942/2024/09/20/nhl-expansion-teams-scoring/
Well it seems odd to me, given the status of the NHL as the 4th of the
so called big leagues (behind NFL, NBA and MLB by a considerable
distance) would actually want a league bigger than those sports. NFL has
32 teams. NBA 30, MLB 30.

And the NHL has already failed twice in Atlanta - why go there again?
Silver Skull
2024-09-21 02:03:13 UTC
Post by MH
Post by Silver Skull
[...]
If what is mentioned in the NY Times article materialises, i.e. a 36
team NHL, then I think it would be a combination of pure greed and
madness !

Commissioner Bettman seems to love the American south more than cold
Canada which means we all know that the next NHL expansion team is going
down there somewhere.
Post by MH
And the NHL has already failed twice in Atlanta - why go there again?
Go figure !

{ "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." }
Blueshirt
2024-09-21 14:14:39 UTC
Post by MH
Well it seems odd to me, given the status of the NHL as the
4th of the so called big leagues (behind NFL, NBA and MLB by a
considerable distance) would actually want a league bigger
than those sports. NFL has 32 teams. NBA 30, MLB 30.
The term I keep reading about where the NHL is concerned is
"growing the market"... but the NHL doesn't seem to have any
bigger profile, in comparison the the other three major US
sports you mentioned, than it did twenty years ago. So what have
they been doing?

Apart from putting trackers in to the pucks and charging an
extortionate amount of money for crappy made Addidas jerseys
that fall apart when you wash them...
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again...
Werner Pichler
2024-09-21 17:37:37 UTC
Post by Silver Skull
Post by MH
Well it seems odd to me, given the status of the NHL as the
4th of the so called big leagues (behind NFL, NBA and MLB by a
considerable distance) would actually want a league bigger
than those sports. NFL has 32 teams. NBA 30, MLB 30.
The term I keep reading about where the NHL is concerned is
"growing the market"... but the NHL doesn't seem to have any
bigger profile, in comparison the the other three major US
sports you mentioned, than it did twenty years ago. So what have
they been doing?
Apart from putting trackers in to the pucks and charging an
extortionate amount of money for crappy made Addidas jerseys
that fall apart when you wash them...
It's going to be all Fanatics jerseys from this season onwards, and
that's not a good thing.

Ciao,
Werner
Blueshirt

MH
2024-09-12 04:13:56 UTC
Post by Silver Skull
Post by Silver Skull
How can it be a meaningless game when we beat the US of A on their own
soil?
There's nothing meaningless, or friendly, about it.
You are a fellow Canadian?  Where ?
Canada !
Plus précisément; Vive les Nordiques !
Isn't it time Quebec (city or even province) had a CPL team ?