Euro 2024 ESP vs ENG [r]
Add Reply
The Doctor
2024-07-11 14:40:17 UTC
A long shotout!
--
Member - Liberal International This is ***@nk.ca Ici ***@nk.ca
Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism ;
United Kingdom save the NAtion on 4 July 2024 vote Liberal Democrat
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 11:48:40 UTC
Spain have four previous European Championship final appearances: 1964
(won), 1984 (lost), 2008 (won), 2012 (won).

England have just the one European Championship final appearance -
2020(1) (lost).

As to the form in this tournament:

Spain: won 5 in 90 minutes, won one after extra time. Scored 13,
conceded 3.

England: Won two in 90 minutes, won one after extra time, won one after
penalties, drawn 2. Scored 7, conceded 4.

Spain are very much the form team, they’ve been consistently playing
well and often winning convincingly and have the pedigree of three
previous European Championship wins behind them. They’ve also beaten
three of the best teams in the tournament in Italy, Germany and France.
But the “better” or form team doesn’t always win. England have World
Class players too, but so far haven’t really applied their talent on the
pitch. What they have demonstrated is an ability to somehow win matches
even when not playing well, sometimes that’s how Championships are won.

RM
Binder Dundat
2024-07-14 18:35:11 UTC
Post by Real_Mardin
[...]
Yeah!!! It is coming home!!!!

Whatever that means.
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 18:53:49 UTC
Post by Binder Dundat
Post by Real_Mardin
[...]
The funny thing is it’s a misunderstood lyric. In the original song
“Three Lions” “it’s Coming Home” related to England hosting its first
tournament since 1966 (Euro 96).

It’s since been misunderstood (or some would say the meaning evolved) to
mean England will win a trophy and take it back to the home of football
China, errrr, I mean England!

RM
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 19:00:22 UTC
KIT WATCH:

Spain in their traditional red shirts, navy shorts (with yellow trim)
and red socks.

England are in all white.

RM
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 18:57:12 UTC
England fans boo the start of the Spanish anthem. The booing of national
anthems has been an unpleasant feature of these Euros.

RM
The Doctor
2024-07-14 19:07:50 UTC
Post by Real_Mardin
England fans boo the start of the Spanish anthem. The booing of national
anthems has been an unpleasant feature of these Euros.
RM
And immature! I love the pregame ceremony!
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 19:15:47 UTC
On Sun, 14 Jul 2024 19:07:50 +0000, The Doctor wrote:

First 13 minutes, and Spain has dominated possession almost as much as
they did versus Italy. Contrary to Italy, though, England's defense has
been solid and haven't conceded much.
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 19:20:09 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
First 13 minutes, and Spain has dominated possession almost as much as
they did versus Italy. Contrary to Italy, though, England's defense has
been solid and haven't conceded much.
Just after I posted this, England came alive and pinned Spain back for
about three minutes, but still 0-0
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 19:39:40 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
Just after I posted this, England came alive and pinned Spain back for
about three minutes, but still 0-0
Match has settled down. Spain with most of the possession, not much in
terms of dangers created. A typical final.
Werner Pichler
2024-07-14 19:45:30 UTC
Post by Real_Mardin
England fans boo the start of the Spanish anthem.
I have a nagging suspicion those were actually
German fans.
Post by Real_Mardin
The booing of national anthems has been an
unpleasant feature of these Euros.
Turkish fans not exactly innocent on that account.

Ciao,
Werner
RM
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 19:50:51 UTC
HT:

Spain 0 - England 0

A tense match.

RM
Binder Dundat
2024-07-14 19:59:11 UTC
Post by Real_Mardin
Spain 0 - England 0
A tense match.
RM
So far this is probably what England wanted, both teams cautious,but
when is the last time a final did not end 1-0.
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 20:11:42 UTC
Post by Binder Dundat
So far this is probably what England wanted, both teams cautious,but
when is the last time a final did not end 1-0.
Just when everybody was wondering how Rodri's forced substitution would
affect Spain, a slick move on the right hand side sets Yamal free, and
he tees up Nico williams for a nice finish. 1-0 Spain

A couple of minutes later, Olmo should have made it two, but drags his
shot wide
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 20:16:26 UTC
Spain now dominating, and not just in terms of possession
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 20:25:15 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
Spain now dominating, and not just in terms of possession
Kane comes off for Watkins in the 60th minute. Bad mistake, he was
playing a great match...
and immediately Bellingham creates himself a half chance, maybe even
more than that.
Werner Pichler
2024-07-14 20:30:48 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
Post by Futbolmetrix
Spain now dominating, and not just in terms of possession
Kane comes off for Watkins in the 60th minute. Bad mistake, he was
playing a great match...
and immediately Bellingham creates himself a half chance, maybe even
more than that.
That would have been one of the goals of the
tournament had that one gone in.

Ciao,
Werner
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 20:27:59 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
Post by Futbolmetrix
Spain now dominating, and not just in terms of possession
Kane comes off for Watkins in the 60th minute. Bad mistake, he was
playing a great match...
and immediately Bellingham creates himself a half chance, maybe even
more than that.
England now forced to take more risks, Yamal almost punishes them on the
break. Good save by Pickford
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 20:35:58 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
England now forced to take more risks, Yamal almost punishes them on the
break. Good save by Pickford
Well put by the US commentators: "out of nowhere, England equalizes".
Well laid off by Bellingham for a beautiful Cole Palmer strike.
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 20:38:40 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
Post by Futbolmetrix
England now forced to take more risks, Yamal almost punishes them on the
break. Good save by Pickford
Well put by the US commentators: "out of nowhere, England equalizes".
Well laid off by Bellingham for a beautiful Cole Palmer strike.
England don’t produce performances, they produce moments.

RM
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 20:50:07 UTC
89 minutes - frantic hear tennis in the Spain area, Olmo clears off the
line!

RM
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 20:48:13 UTC
86 minutes- Spain cross low and Oyazarbal gets to the ball and finishes
to put Spain 2-1 up.

If any of you know the Spanish for “it’s coming home” now might be the
time...

RM
Werner Pichler
2024-07-14 20:45:06 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
Post by Futbolmetrix
England now forced to take more risks, Yamal almost punishes them on the
break. Good save by Pickford
Well put by the US commentators: "out of nowhere, England equalizes".
Well laid off by Bellingham for a beautiful Cole Palmer strike.
Not sure about Spain’s subs. Has Oyarzabal done
anything of note during his appearances at this
tournament so far?

Southgate’s substitutions have brought on genuine
new energy.

Ciao,
Werner
Werner Pichler
2024-07-14 20:47:48 UTC
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by Futbolmetrix
Post by Futbolmetrix
England now forced to take more risks, Yamal almost punishes them on the
break. Good save by Pickford
Well put by the US commentators: "out of nowhere, England equalizes".
Well laid off by Bellingham for a beautiful Cole Palmer strike.
Not sure about Spain’s subs. Has Oyarzabal done
anything of note during his appearances at this
tournament so far?
It never fails…

Ciao,
Werner
Werner
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 20:51:09 UTC
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by Futbolmetrix
Post by Futbolmetrix
England now forced to take more risks, Yamal almost punishes them on the
break. Good save by Pickford
Well put by the US commentators: "out of nowhere, England equalizes".
Well laid off by Bellingham for a beautiful Cole Palmer strike.
Not sure about Spain’s subs. Has Oyarzabal done
anything of note during his appearances at this
tournament so far?
Well maybe not, but..........
Werner
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 20:55:58 UTC
FT:

Spain 2 - England 1

The best team on the night and indeed throughout the tournament won.

Congratulations to Spain, Euro 2024 Champions.

Google translate says “esta volviendo a Casa”

RM
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 20:58:12 UTC
Hard to argue with that
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 20:59:09 UTC
The Euros are over,

Thank you to everyone who participated in the match threads, you’ve all
been amazing as usual, what a good group.

RM
Binder Dundat
2024-07-14 21:09:43 UTC
The last team to beat Spain was Colombia, just sayin. HT show of the
Copa will be with the Colombian singer the ex Mrs Gerard Piquet
RM
Blueshirt
2024-07-15 09:51:33 UTC
Post by Real_Mardin
The Euros are over,
Great. When does the real stuff start? By that I mean FPL of
course... I've 100 million to spend and I want to do it NOW!!!
The Doctor
2024-07-14 21:33:26 UTC
Post by Real_Mardin
Spain 2 - England 1
The best team on the night and indeed throughout the tournament won.
Congratulations to Spain, Euro 2024 Champions.
Google translate says “esta volviendo a Casa”
RM
So what is the fate of Southgate?
Werner Pichler
2024-07-14 21:45:28 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Real_Mardin
Spain 2 - England 1
The best team on the night and indeed throughout the tournament won.
Congratulations to Spain, Euro 2024 Champions.
Google translate says “esta volviendo a Casa”
RM
So what is the fate of Southgate?
If I were him I’d quit, with reputation fairly intact.
It appears quite evident he’s taken them as far as he
can, let someone else take this toxic job now.

Ciao,
Werner
The Doctor
2024-07-14 23:45:19 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Real_Mardin
Spain 2 - England 1
The best team on the night and indeed throughout the tournament won.
Congratulations to Spain, Euro 2024 Champions.
Google translate says “esta volviendo a Casa”
RM
So what is the fate of Southgate?
If I were him I’d quit, with reputation fairly intact.
It appears quite evident he’s taken them as far as he
can, let someone else take this toxic job now.
My feelings exactly.
Ciao,
Werner
Werner Pichler
2024-07-16 10:43:55 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by The Doctor
Post by Real_Mardin
Spain 2 - England 1
The best team on the night and indeed throughout the tournament won.
Congratulations to Spain, Euro 2024 Champions.
Google translate says “esta volviendo a Casa”
RM
So what is the fate of Southgate?
If I were him I’d quit, with reputation fairly intact.
It appears quite evident he’s taken them as far as he
can, let someone else take this toxic job now.
My feelings exactly.
Looks like he listened to our suggestions!

Ciao,
Werner
FF
2024-07-25 17:36:47 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by The Doctor
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by The Doctor
Post by Real_Mardin
Congratulations to Spain, Euro 2024 Champions.
Google translate says “esta volviendo a Casa”
RM
So what is the fate of Southgate?
If I were him I’d quit, with reputation fairly intact.
It appears quite evident he’s taken them as far as he
can, let someone else take this toxic job now.
My feelings exactly.
Looks like he listened to our suggestions!
Ciao,
Werner
Actually, FWIW I think it was a mistake. It's quite clear he's done a
very good job, it's not his fault that Spain were so incredibly strong.
No reason to leave (or sack him, whatever actually happened) midterm.
He should have stayed on at least for the World Cup.
Blueshirt
2024-07-25 19:15:00 UTC
Post by FF
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by The Doctor
Post by Werner Pichler
If I were him I’d quit, with reputation fairly intact.
It appears quite evident he’s taken them as far as he
can, let someone else take this toxic job now.
My feelings exactly.
Looks like he listened to our suggestions!
Actually, FWIW I think it was a mistake. It's quite clear he's
done a very good job, it's not his fault that Spain were so
incredibly strong. No reason to leave (or sack him, whatever
actually happened) midterm. He should have stayed on at least
for the World Cup.
Well, at the latter end of his term to be precise, as Gareth
Southgate's England contract with the FA was due to expire in
December 2024. So he stepped down now as he'd gone as far as he
could go in his opinion, and probably so a new manager could be
in place for England's UEFA Nations League games in September.
He wasn't sacked anyway.

The journalists that write for the serious papers have stated
that the FA wanted Southgate to stay on, and I can believe that.
(I'm more likely to believe something that I read in 'The Times'
than 'The Sun'!!!) As his record as England manager wasn't that
bad, and there was no shame in losing to that Spanish team.
FF
2024-08-29 02:49:15 UTC
Post by Blueshirt
Post by FF
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by The Doctor
Post by Werner Pichler
If I were him I’d quit, with reputation fairly intact.
It appears quite evident he’s taken them as far as he
can, let someone else take this toxic job now.
My feelings exactly.
Looks like he listened to our suggestions!
Actually, FWIW I think it was a mistake. It's quite clear he's
done a very good job, it's not his fault that Spain were so
incredibly strong. No reason to leave (or sack him, whatever
actually happened) midterm. He should have stayed on at least
for the World Cup.
Well, at the latter end of his term to be precise, as Gareth
Southgate's England contract with the FA was due to expire in
December 2024. So he stepped down now as he'd gone as far as he
could go in his opinion, and probably so a new manager could be
in place for England's UEFA Nations League games in September.
He wasn't sacked anyway.
Belated answer: by midterm I meant before the world cup. The UEFA
Nations League doesn't matter.
With him, England should have a pretty good chance IMO. And I think
it's very unlikely that it's better with somebody else. I might be
wrong of course.
Blueshirt
2024-08-29 18:12:31 UTC
The UEFA Nations League doesn't matter.
We agree on something anyway! :-)

Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 21:53:51 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Real_Mardin
Spain 2 - England 1
The best team on the night and indeed throughout the tournament won.
Congratulations to Spain, Euro 2024 Champions.
Google translate says “esta volviendo a Casa”
RM
So what is the fate of Southgate?
All the pundits seem to think he's going but when he was asked during
the pitch side post match interview he said he needed time to think.

RM
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 20:56:16 UTC
Post by Werner Pichler
Not sure about Spain’s subs. Has Oyarzabal done
anything of note during his appearances at this
tournament so far?
Technical proficiency: 10
Artistic merit: 10

Chapeau(x)
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 20:26:59 UTC
65 minutes, Yamal forces a good save from Pickford.

Will Spain regret these missed chances?

RM
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 20:33:49 UTC
Post by Real_Mardin
65 minutes, Yamal forces a good save from Pickford.
Will Spain regret these missed chances?
RM
Yes they will.

73 minutes, England play the ball out to Palmer who shoots from outside
the area to make it 1-1.

RM
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 20:22:47 UTC
playing a great match...
Real_Mardin
2024-07-14 19:50:05 UTC
Post by Real_Mardin
The booing of national anthems has been an
unpleasant feature of these Euros.
Turkish fans not exactly innocent on that account.
And the relevance of that comment to a match between Spain and England
is what...?

RM
Post by Werner Pichler
Ciao,
Werner
RM
Werner Pichler
2024-07-14 19:55:55 UTC
Post by Real_Mardin
Post by Real_Mardin
The booing of national anthems has been an
unpleasant feature of these Euros.
Turkish fans not exactly innocent on that account.
And the relevance of that comment to a match between Spain and England
is what...?
You wrote about ‘these Euros’, not just this
particular match.

It just happens that this ‘trend’ started (or at least
became first noticeable) in Turkey matches.

Ciao,
Werner
RM
Futbolmetrix
2024-07-14 18:57:03 UTC
On Sun, 14 Jul 2024 18:53:49 +0000, Real_Mardin wrote:

Euro pre-game show: unknown band lyp-sincing, colored fireworks, dancers
flying on poles, great choreography
Copa pre-game show: Shakira

Copa wins this, I suspect
FF
2024-07-14 14:57:01 UTC
Post by The Doctor
A long shotout!
3 - 1 Spain
FF
2024-07-14 21:13:48 UTC
Post by FF
Post by The Doctor
A long shotout!
3 - 1 Spain
Pretty close.

Great match. England managed to put up a fight but in the end the
better team won. And they should have scored some more, they had 2 or 3
very good chances at begin of the second half. Even so they were
impressive, in this game as in the whole tournament.

As for the refereeing, even though not perfect it was probably the best
officiated major NT tournament so far, by some distance. The champions
are deserved by any standard.
Blueshirt
2024-07-15 09:50:06 UTC
Post by FF
Great match. England managed to put up a fight but in the end
the better team won. And they should have scored some more,
they had 2 or 3 very good chances at begin of the second half.
Even so they were impressive, in this game as in the whole
tournament.
Spain P7 W7 ... Spain unbeaten and Champions.

Spain were the best team in the tournament and deservedly
winners. Their quality showed when the moved in to second gear
in the second half.
Post by FF
As for the refereeing, even though not perfect it was probably
the best officiated major NT tournament so far, by some
distance. The champions are deserved by any standard.
I can't remember the ref doing much wrong in this game, plus we
had no dodgy VAR calls. So, football as it should be.
FF
2024-07-15 13:48:54 UTC
Post by FF
As for the refereeing, even though not perfect it was probably
the best officiated major NT tournament so far, by some
distance. The champions are deserved by any standard.
I can't remember the ref doing much wrong in this game, plus we
had no dodgy VAR calls. So, football as it should be.
Fun fact: they beat Germany, France and England by the same score, 2 -
1. They seem to really like it. :)

And they're relatively young. So many excellent young players. In 2
years, absent major accidents, they should be even better. I can't wait
to see them at the World Cup. Which they will be co-hosting, if I'm not
mistaken. They'll host the final I guess, right ?
FF
2024-07-15 14:54:14 UTC
Post by FF
Post by FF
As for the refereeing, even though not perfect it was probably
the best officiated major NT tournament so far, by some
distance. The champions are deserved by any standard.
I can't remember the ref doing much wrong in this game, plus we
had no dodgy VAR calls. So, football as it should be.
Fun fact: they beat Germany, France and England by the same score, 2 -
1. They seem to really like it. :)
And they're relatively young. So many excellent young players. In 2
years, absent major accidents, they should be even better. I can't
wait to see them at the World Cup. Which they will be co-hosting, if
I'm not mistaken. They'll host the final I guess, right ?
Sorry, I looked it up and I was indeed mistaken. The one they'll
co-host will be the next one, in 2030. Well, even so I still can't wait
to see them.
Blueshirt
2024-07-15 15:00:33 UTC
Post by FF
Post by FF
Post by Blueshirt
Spain P7 W7 ... Spain unbeaten and Champions.
Spain were the best team in the tournament and deservedly
winners. Their quality showed when they moved in to second
gear in the second half.
Yes, North America is hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup...
Blueshirt
2024-07-15 15:05:18 UTC
Post by FF
Post by Blueshirt
Post by FF
Great match. England managed to put up a fight but in the
end the better team won. And they should have scored some
more, they had 2 or 3 very good chances at begin of the
second half. Even so they were impressive, in this game
as in the whole tournament.
Spain P7 W7 ... Spain unbeaten and Champions.
Spain were the best team in the tournament and deservedly
winners. Their quality showed when they moved in to second
gear in the second half.
Fun fact: they beat Germany, France and England by the same
score, 2 - 1. They seem to really like it. :)
And they're relatively young. So many excellent young players.
In 2 years, absent major accidents, they should be even
better. I can't wait to see them at the World Cup. Which they
will be co-hosting, if I'm not mistaken. They'll host the
final I guess, right ?
Not in 2026 anyway! ;-)

As Spain are one of the six co-hosts in 2030, Madrid has a very
good chance of being the venue for the Final.

But with FIFA, and the behind-the-scenes wheeling and dealing
that is going to take place, you just never know.
anders t
2024-07-14 19:49:49 UTC
I think this is a rather entertaining game - despite almost no scoring
chances.
--
Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08