Hello again
FF
2024-04-30 22:51:11 UTC
I'm FF. I had to go through the gruesome process of accessing RSS
through a newsreader. This is why my nick (and possibly other things)
is now different. For now, until I get used to the new situation and
hopefully learn how to change my nick back to FF. Not that I need the
secrecy any more but I have grown fond of it.

Anyway, I want to say a few things about the forced change.
First, it definitely sucks. I know there are those of you who think
it's better this way, I disagree. It's uselessly complicated. Besides,
it has been rather difficult for me to set it up, and I'm a
professional. I'm sure others will find it prohibitively difficult.
With Google Groups it was reasonably simple. But whatever. I don't make
their policy and if they decided to dump it there's not much we can do.

Second, many thanks for the help I got from your posts, especially to
Blueshirt. I wouldn't have done it without your info, or at the very
least it would have taken me much longer and I would have probably
given up. Per his recommendation, I'm using Eternal September, with
newsreader XanaNews. Hopefully it works, and hopefully I can get learn
my way here quickly enough.

That said, nice hearing from you all again.
FF
2024-04-30 22:54:19 UTC
Post by FF
[...]
What a surprise, it looks like my nick is still FF. I have no idea thow
this came about but i'm glad about it.
Mark
2024-05-01 07:45:42 UTC
Post by FF
Post by FF
[...]
Welcome back. I had an absolute nightmare trying to set up the
newsreader, being technophobic, as you're probably aware of if it's
Blueshirt's messages you read.

If you prefer a web-based way of accessing it, there's always novaBBS.
To be honest, probably the only reason I'm using xananews is because it
wouldn't have been worth all that hassle if I end up not using it. I
might go back to using novaBBS some time; I think I prefer that.

Just out of curiosity, what was your secretive new username?
FF
2024-05-01 12:58:31 UTC
Post by Mark
Just out of curiosity, what was your secretive new username?
You got it slightly wrong. It's not my new username that was secretive.
FF at begin was a secretive nick, as older users know. It didn't have
anything to do with my real name which is Vlad (a romanian name).
Blueshirt
2024-05-01 11:40:04 UTC
Post by FF
I'm FF. I had to go through the gruesome process of accessing
RSS through a newsreader. This is why my nick (and possibly
other things) is now different. For now, until I get used to
the new situation and hopefully learn how to change my nick
back to FF. Not that I need the secrecy any more but I have
grown fond of it.
Gruesome but successful!
Post by FF
Anyway, I want to say a few things about the forced change.
First, it definitely sucks. I know there are those of you who
think it's better this way, I disagree. It's uselessly
complicated. Besides, it has been rather difficult for me to
set it up, and I'm a professional. I'm sure others will find
it prohibitively difficult. With Google Groups it was
reasonably simple. But whatever. I don't make their policy and
if they decided to dump it there's not much we can do.
Well I personally prefer as newsreader but I've never used
Google Groups to access Usenet so I am just sticking to what I
know!
Obviously it was a big change for the Google Groups regulars.
But a couple of you have made it back so that's good.

If you find you do prefer web gateway access to Usenet, NovaBBS
seems to be making some headway and I think Ray at
eternal-september is working on his own interface... so stay
tuned.
Post by FF
Second, many thanks for the help I got from your posts,
especially to Blueshirt. I wouldn't have done it without your
info, or at the very least it would have taken me much longer
and I would have probably given up. Per his recommendation,
I'm using Eternal September, with newsreader XanaNews.
Hopefully it works, and hopefully I can get learn my way here
quickly enough.
You're welcome... XanaNews is a simple newsreader in the big
scheme of things. Basic enough and does the job. Once you get
used to it you might prefer a newsreader upgrade of some sort,
but it was easier for me to recommend something that I actually
use, that way if anyone did need advice I could help them out.
Welcome back!
FF
2024-05-01 13:06:30 UTC
Post by Blueshirt
You're welcome... XanaNews is a simple newsreader in the big
scheme of things. Basic enough and does the job. Once you get
used to it you might prefer a newsreader upgrade of some sort,
Nah, I don't think so. Now it works, so as long as it does I'll just
use it. That's how I always do. :)
Post by Blueshirt
but it was easier for me to recommend something that I actually
use, that way if anyone did need advice I could help them out.
You certainly did. It seems that the best Net info I found on the
subject was actually the old RSS discussion. I even found a page that
said there is no such thing as free Usenet access. Luckily I remembered
reading here otherwise and came back and followed your advice.

BTW, do you know how I can get somebody out of the so-called Bozo bin
(whatever that is) ? I put myself accidentally there when I was trying
to find my way around things. I can't access the help, even though
there seems to be one but it doesn't work, at least at my place. And
the info on the Net is practically 0.
Blueshirt
2024-05-01 13:14:26 UTC
Post by FF
BTW, do you know how I can get somebody out of the so-called
Bozo bin (whatever that is) ? I put myself accidentally there
when I was trying to find my way around things. I can't access
the help, even though there seems to be one but it doesn't
work, at least at my place. And the info on the Net is
practically 0.
At the top, above the toolbar...

Click 'Tools' -> In the box that opens, scroll down to
'Options', click that -> On the left panel select 'Bozo Bin' ->
Select the email address of the relevant person -> Hit the
'Delete' button below that box -> Then the 'Apply' button right
at the bottom.
FF
2024-05-01 13:36:11 UTC
Post by Blueshirt
Post by FF
BTW, do you know how I can get somebody out of the so-called
Bozo bin (whatever that is) ? I put myself accidentally there
when I was trying to find my way around things. I can't access
the help, even though there seems to be one but it doesn't
work, at least at my place. And the info on the Net is
practically 0.
At the top, above the toolbar...
Click 'Tools' -> In the box that opens, scroll down to
'Options', click that -> On the left panel select 'Bozo Bin' ->
Select the email address of the relevant person -> Hit the
'Delete' button below that box -> Then the 'Apply' button right
at the bottom.
Thanks. But it looks like it's not needed, because I actually had
removed myself by pressing the Bozo button once more (as it's obvious
it should work). The reason I thought I was still a bozo is that I saw
the threads started by me in yellow (all messages, not just mine). I
guess that's an error, as obviously they aren't ignored since I'm not a
bozo any more, I can see them and reply to them. Anyway, I changed the
color to brown so now it's not a problem any more.
Blueshirt
2024-05-01 18:46:59 UTC
Post by FF
Thanks. But it looks like it's not needed, because I actually
had removed myself by pressing the Bozo button once more (as
it's obvious it should work). The reason I thought I was still
a bozo is that I saw the threads started by me in yellow (all
messages, not just mine). I guess that's an error, as
obviously they aren't ignored since I'm not a bozo any more, I
can see them and reply to them. Anyway, I changed the color to
brown so now it's not a problem any more.
The fact that you know how to change the colour of messages
already is a good sign...

Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you!
FF
2024-05-01 21:18:58 UTC
Post by Blueshirt
Post by FF
Thanks. But it looks like it's not needed, because I actually
had removed myself by pressing the Bozo button once more (as
it's obvious it should work). The reason I thought I was still
a bozo is that I saw the threads started by me in yellow (all
messages, not just mine). I guess that's an error, as
obviously they aren't ignored since I'm not a bozo any more, I
can see them and reply to them. Anyway, I changed the color to
brown so now it's not a problem any more.
The fact that you know how to change the colour of messages
already is a good sign...
Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you!
:) As I said, I'm not a computer newbie. Actually I'm a programmer
myself. But the info around these things was very scarce. Luckily I had
good one from your old thread. Anyway, now it looks like things are
back under control, more or less.
WernerPichler
2024-08-09 22:49:38 UTC
Post by FF
[...]
Have Eternal September expunged their archive? All messages older
than six weeks have disappeared for me from the server, and it
used to go back to 2007 or so.

Ciao,
Werner
(posting via novaBBS, who have now thankfully added a 'sort by date'
feature when looking for messages)
Werner Pichler
2024-08-09 23:34:54 UTC
Post by WernerPichler
Post by FF
[...]
OK so it appears that Eternal September's servers crashed hard.
They might be able to re-upload everything (timeline given for
that is several weeks, at least) but it's not certain.

Ciao,
Werner
Blueshirt
2024-08-10 07:09:22 UTC
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by WernerPichler
Well I personally prefer a newsreader but I've never used
Google Groups to access Usenet so I am just sticking to
what I know!
Obviously it was a big change for the Google Groups
regulars. But a couple of you have made it back so that's
good.
If you find you do prefer web gateway access to Usenet,
NovaBBS seems to be making some headway and I think Ray at
eternal-september is working on his own interface... so
stay tuned.
Have Eternal September expunged their archive? All messages
older than six weeks have disappeared for me from the
server, and it used to go back to 2007 or so.
OK so it appears that Eternal September's servers crashed hard.
That's why it's always good to have a back-up.

Although in my case eternal-september IS my back-up! ;-)
Post by Werner Pichler
They might be able to re-upload everything (timeline given for
that is several weeks, at least) but it's not certain.
At least with a newsreader you do have the option to download
all the messages - from whatever NNTP service you use - and keep
your own archive!
Werner Pichler
2024-08-10 10:54:01 UTC
Post by Blueshirt
Post by Werner Pichler
They might be able to re-upload everything (timeline given for
that is several weeks, at least) but it's not certain.
At least with a newsreader you do have the option to download
all the messages - from whatever NNTP service you use - and keep
your own archive!
Anders T has just written in another medium that the
Forte Agent Premier News service he has used (and
payed for) for decades has closed down for good, so
he‘s currently cut off. As we’ve seen Eternal
September is not a great alternative right now either.

I can’t help it, I’m not finding this shiny post-Google
Usenet era all that awesome.

Ciao,
Werner
Blueshirt
2024-08-10 12:34:01 UTC
Post by Werner Pichler
Post by Werner Pichler
They might be able to re-upload everything (timeline given
for that is several weeks, at least) but it's not certain.
At least with a newsreader you do have the option to download
all the messages - from whatever NNTP service you use - and
keep your own archive!
Anders T has just written in another medium that the
Forte Agent Premier News service he has used (and
payed for) for decades has closed down for good, so
he‘s currently cut off. As we’ve seen Eternal
September is not a great alternative right now either.
There are "other mediums"? Blasphemy! :-)

NovaBBS seems to be reasonably reliable from what I hear.
Web interfaces have never been my idea of fun for Usenet though,
but NovaBBS do seem to be trying to become an effective
replacement for GG.
Post by Werner Pichler
I can’t help it, I’m not finding this shiny post-Google
Usenet era all that awesome.
Pay peanuts, get monkeys!

I use a paid service as my main Usenet supplier... I waited
until Eweka did a €2.99 a month offer [paid yearly] and snapped
that up. You can't even buy a pint for €2.99! ('Black Friday'
and 'Kings Day' in the Netherlands - are the best time for those
sort of offers.) But you'd need to be a reasonably active Usenet
user to use a paid service when there are free NNTP services out
there.

Eternal-September are very good and reliable usually, so I'd cut
them some slack. These things happen. I'm sure Ray will have
them back up to speed before long once their server issues are
sorted out.
anders t
2024-08-10 15:12:23 UTC
Post by Werner Pichler
Anders T has just written in another medium that the
Forte Agent Premier News service he has used (and
payed for) for decades has closed down for good, so
he‘s currently cut off. As we’ve seen Eternal
September is not a great alternative right now either.
I can’t help it, I’m not finding this shiny post-Google
Usenet era all that awesome.
Back in! Trying "Pure Usenet" for 7 days, let's see how it works.
--
Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08
Blueshirt
2024-08-10 16:41:39 UTC
Post by anders t
Post by Werner Pichler
Anders T has just written in another medium that the
Forte Agent Premier News service he has used (and
payed for) for decades has closed down for good, so
he‘s currently cut off. As we’ve seen Eternal
September is not a great alternative right now either.
I can’t help it, I’m not finding this shiny post-Google
Usenet era all that awesome.
Back in! Trying "Pure Usenet" for 7 days, let's see how it
works.
I've never tried them but "Pure Usenet" use the Omicron
backbone, like Eweka, so they should have fairly good retention
and content.

HASM
2024-08-10 12:50:59 UTC
Post by Werner Pichler
OK so it appears that Eternal September's servers crashed hard.
And when it came back the indices may have changed or were screwed up,
as it showed me a bunch of old articles.

-- HASM