Asian Cup 2019
Binder Dundat
2019-01-11 17:00:33 UTC
Geez, not one post about the Asian Cup, very snobby bunch of football fans aren't you. Can you name one Asian player? They do actually play football in Asia, contrary to popular belief.

I am currently watching South Korea play one of the Stans, the one that has no vowels in the name, the one that has no money in the country, the one that has no human rights or no females under 25 years old. I wonder if the Krgyzyz (or whatever they call themselves) wish they were still part of the Soviet Union? It is one of those countries no one knows anything about.

Anyhow, they somehow qualified for the Asian Cup, which is about as prestigious as getting a table at a Burger King or Pizza Hut. Everyone qualifies for the Asian Cup, I think they now have 34 teams qualify. Not only that, all those teams actually make the knock round-which probably explains why Son is still in London playing for Spurs and not in whatever human rights devoid shithole this is being hosted in.

So why am I watching this, indirectly supporting this travesty of football and human rights. Well, it is -20C today on the iceberg, I am hungover and I am trying to learn about and help the little Asian peoples. Like Donald Trump, I do so much good that does not get noticed.

At the moment, S Korea lead 1-0 at the half, the pace of the game is actually pretty good, I wont say the Krzygz'z deserve to be winning, but they are doing OK
a***@hotmail.com
2019-01-11 17:21:49 UTC
Emre Can?
Jesper Lauridsen
2019-01-12 22:47:15 UTC
Post by Binder Dundat
Geez, not one post about the Asian Cup, very snobby bunch of
football fans aren't you. Can you name one Asian player?
I can name 14!

Michael Falkesgaard
Luke Woodland
�lvaro Silva
Stephan Palla
Daisuke Sato
John-Patrick Strau�
Manuel Ott
Kevin Ingreso
Stephan Schr�ck
Patrick Reichelt
Javier Pati�o
Iain Ramsay
Adam Reed
Phil Younghusband

Those are the players that the Philippines used in their opener
against China. Coached by none other than Sven-G�ran Eriksson.
Lleo
2019-01-12 23:31:33 UTC
Post by Jesper Lauridsen
Post by Binder Dundat
Geez, not one post about the Asian Cup, very snobby bunch of
football fans aren't you. Can you name one Asian player?
I can name 14!
[snip]
Post by Jesper Lauridsen
Phil Younghusband
This name reminded me of this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.sport.soccer/playstation$202|sort:date/rec.sport.soccer/yUYBtxVASUs/b01thKlG6fYJ

Nowadays the bit about scouting via Playstation 2 is no longer on the
Phillipines NT wiki page. But if you look into Phil's and James's, the
story is there, only that it now mentions they were "discovered" via
Football Manager (which is a PC game, rather than a PS2 one).

Lléo
Binder Dundat
2019-01-13 15:13:37 UTC
Post by Jesper Lauridsen
Post by Binder Dundat
Geez, not one post about the Asian Cup, very snobby bunch of
football fans aren't you. Can you name one Asian player?
I can name 14!
Michael Falkesgaard
Luke Woodland
Álvaro Silva
Stephan Palla
Daisuke Sato
John-Patrick Strauß
Manuel Ott
Kevin Ingreso
Stephan Schröck
Patrick Reichelt
Javier Patiño
Iain Ramsay
Adam Reed
Phil Younghusband
Those are the players that the Philippines used in their opener
against China. Coached by none other than Sven-Göran Eriksson.
I think the opener was vs South Korea and they actually did OK, only losing 1-0. They lost to China 3-0, not sure if they used the same squad?

Glancing quickly at the results, it looks like Qatar are going to win it all (yes I can determine Asian football winners without having to wait for all rounds to be played, hell I can do it without even watching any games), not sure if they are all Brazilian ex pats or whatever it was they were doing before.

Mother of all football matches between Iran and Iraq to happen this week.
Bruce Scott
2019-01-14 15:58:33 UTC
Post by Binder Dundat
Glancing quickly at the results, it looks like Qatar are going to win
it all (yes I can determine Asian football winners without having to
wait for all rounds to be played, hell I can do it without even watching
any games), not sure if they are all Brazilian ex pats or whatever it was
they were doing before.
Mother of all football matches between Iran and Iraq to happen this week.
I'd like to be able to see this, but will just find the goals on Al
Jazeera highlights. Did you see the Qatar goals? Yes it was against
N Korea, but the passing was very crisp and on the first two the
finishing was really good. You watched S Korea... did Son Hyeung-min
play (or well)?

I used to be able to name some Iranian players but they've all left the
scene now ... and there's Okazaki from Japan (not sure Honda is still
active).
--
ciao, Bruce