NOR-SWE [R]
anders t
2019-03-26 21:04:48 UTC
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE non-offside call allows Norway to take the lead
against Sweden.

Complete incompetence!

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/QoMPRR/norge-tog-ledningen--efter-offsidemal
--
Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08
Futbolmetrix
2019-03-26 21:42:39 UTC
Post by anders t
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE non-offside call allows Norway to take the lead
against Sweden.
Complete incompetence!
https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/QoMPRR/norge-tog-ledningen--efter-offsidemal
I have always claimed that refs and ARs are almost incredibly skilled at detecting offsides in "regular" situations, but they probably have less than a 50% (25%?) success rate in correctly calling offsides in unusual situations like the one above, when the "second to last defender" is the goalkeeper.

Anyway, this will no longer be an issue once you have VAR everywhere.

Anyway 2, I suspect you will have other issues to complain about...
Futbolmetrix
2019-03-26 21:50:29 UTC
Anyway 2, I suspect you will have other issues to complain about...
You have to give it to the Nordics, they made for some entertaining matches today:

Norway-Sweden, 2-0 in the 70th minute, then 2-1, then Sweden turns it around in two goals in the last four minutes, only for Norway to equalize with the last kick of the game in the 96th minute.

Not be outdone, Denmark came back from 3-0 down to Switzerland in the 84th minute to tie it 3-3.

Elsewhere, Italy beat Liechtenstein 6-0. At times, it almost looked as if Italy would go for a Netherlands or Spain-type scoreline to pad up some individual goalscoring stats, but in the end they settled for just six.
a***@hotmail.com
2019-03-27 13:32:23 UTC
Also Finland, scored against Armenia in the 14th min, and then again in the 78th min!
Werner Pichler
2019-03-27 13:50:44 UTC
Post by anders t
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE non-offside call allows Norway to take the lead
against Sweden.
Complete incompetence!
https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/QoMPRR/norge-tog-ledningen--efter-offsidemal
I have always claimed that refs and ARs are almost incredibly skilled at
detecting offsides in "regular" situations, but they probably have less than
a 50% (25%?) success rate in correctly calling offsides in unusual situations
like the one above, when the "second to last defender" is the goalkeeper.
One that prevented Salzburg from reaching the Champions League:

One that happened in our home Euro where the referee team's reaction to having
gotten it wrong was caught on film:

Yeah, those do tend to stick in your mind.

2019-03-27 15:46:55 UTC
https://www.24sata.hr/media/img/ba/0e/5aa3600d6f9fa576738e.jpeg
One that happened in our home Euro where the referee team's reaction to having
http://youtu.be/coK5US8tfK4
Yeah, those do tend to stick in your mind.
Here's another glaring miss:

Werner Pichler
2019-03-27 16:22:48 UTC
https://www.24sata.hr/media/img/ba/0e/5aa3600d6f9fa576738e.jpeg
One that happened in our home Euro where the referee team's reaction to
http://youtu.be/coK5US8tfK4
Yeah, those do tend to stick in your mind.
http://youtu.be/QZng4Otbj70
I like this one because absolutely nobody notices:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/k5nHeWhPWDHJ2Hqz9Dp (from 02:36)

Exactly. Nobody notices in the vast majority of these cases.
Futbolmetrix
2019-03-27 17:11:13 UTC
Exactly. Nobody notices in the vast majority of these cases.
Here's another one:

Despite it being Juve-Inter, none of the Inter players protested.
Werner Pichler
2019-03-27 20:25:31 UTC
Exactly. Nobody notices in the vast majority of these cases.
http://youtu.be/N13QK2yH9dA
Despite it being Juve-Inter, none of the Inter players protested.
A famous one where the goalkeeper’s forward position probably played a role in the missed
call, too:

And the offside was ignored all over the world ;-)

2019-03-28 11:18:44 UTC
A famous one where the goalkeeper’s forward position probably played a role in the missed
call, too: http://youtu.be/uiuZalalZio
This is probably the best argument against VAR I have ever seen. One of the best moments ever in the history of the World Cup, and it would all have been for naught if VAR had existed.

It also raises an interesting question: if it had gone to VAR and the penalty for Ghana had been called off, should Suarez still have gotten a red card for unsportsmanlike conduct? Methinks yes.
HASM
2019-03-28 12:35:09 UTC
It also raises an interesting question: if it had gone to VAR and the
penalty for Ghana had been called off, should Suarez still have gotten
a red card for unsportsmanlike conduct? Methinks yes.
Methinks no.

USB is a caution/yellow card and if the offside is called the ball is no
longer in play. Caution and ejections when the ball is not in play can
obviously still be given, but not for DOGSO.

-- HASM
Jesus Petry
2019-03-28 12:37:16 UTC
A famous one where the goalkeeper’s forward position probably played a role in the missed
call, too: http://youtu.be/uiuZalalZio
This is probably the best argument against VAR I have ever seen. One of the best moments ever in the history of the World Cup, and it would all have been for naught if VAR had existed.
It also raises an interesting question: if it had gone to VAR and the penalty for Ghana had been called off, should Suarez still have gotten a red card for unsportsmanlike conduct? Methinks yes.
I don't think so, because play would theoretically be stopped.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
a***@hotmail.com
2019-03-28 13:51:31 UTC
A famous one where the goalkeeper’s forward position probably played a role in the missed
call, too: http://youtu.be/uiuZalalZio
This is probably the best argument against VAR I have ever seen. One of the best moments ever in the history of the World Cup, and it would all have been for naught if VAR had existed.
So? VAR's purpose is to minimize mistakes. Isn't your argument kind of saying that officiating mistakes are acceptable if great moments are being created?
Probably not, because the play would technically have stopped. Had Suarez instead gotten a red for a vicious studs-up challenge, let's say, then it would have been different because violence is violence regardless of whether the ball is in play. A gray area for sure.
Futbolmetrix
2019-03-28 15:09:53 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by Futbolmetrix
This is probably the best argument against VAR I have ever seen. One of the best moments ever in the history of the World Cup, and it would all have been for naught if VAR had existed.
So? VAR's purpose is to minimize mistakes. Isn't your argument kind of saying that officiating mistakes are acceptable if great moments are being created?
But notice that there was no refereeing mistake in the actual incident. Suarez did a DOGSO and was rightly sent off. What made the moment great was the context:

- 120th minute of a WC quarterfinal

- Ghana with the chance of becoming the first African team to make a WC semi, on their home continent (I don't know how much Ghanaians or South Africans actually cared about this: the distance between South Africa and Ghana is more than the distance from the eastern to the Western tip of China: thetruesize.com. But Europeans and all those who think that Africa is a country made a big deal out of it).

- The polarized views on Suarez's act: a dirty cheating scumbag, or a quick-thinking genius and hero who took one for the team? What's even more fascinating is the relationship between the reaction to Suarez's act and cross-country differences in the attitudes towards the rule of law. One could build a whole university-level course on philosophy, history, society and economics just around that incident.

What I'm saying is that it would have been a shame if we had lost all of that because of a technicality (a 47 cm offsides call that would have invalidated the whole play).
a***@hotmail.com
2019-03-27 13:33:37 UTC
Post by anders t
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE non-offside call allows Norway to take the lead
against Sweden.
Complete incompetence!
It's not often that one sees you complaining about refs, so this must have been a really awful call!