Can any team be this year's Leicester ? [Some R implied]
2018-09-26 21:52:40 UTC
(or Wolfsburg, Kaiserslautern, Hellas Verona, Montpellier etc - teams
that unexpectedly came from nowhere to win championships)

I was thinking about this at the beginning of the season, but in the top
leagues, the prospects of the established order being upset seem pretty
dismal already. I had hopes of Everton and Leicester, for instance, but
in spite of strengthening their team (Richarlison, Bernard, Zouma,
Digne, Mina) the former are already quite far behind. They did play
very well against Arsenal and should really have won. Watford were also
looking intriguing, but now have been brought to earth. And of course
the most important factor is that Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool are
off to flying starts and it seems improbable that all three of them
would have the wheels fall off this year.

Same in Spain, today's results notwithstanding. And Italy looks like
being dominated by the usual suspects, with Bayern and PSG unlikely to
be challenged, and if they are challenged, it will be by teams like
Lyon, Marseille, and Dortmund (especially now that Hertha have been
found out)

So which leagues can we look at for unexpected winners? Probably not
Portugal (though Braga are hanging in there), nor the Netherlands (look
at the table). Perhaps Belgium (Genk doing well, but they are hardly
rank outsiders), though it is early days, and the format allows the
Anderlecht/Bruges cartel to make up a lot of ground in the championship
round.

Russia does have a couple of outsiders high in the table right now, but
still behind Zenit. Turkey, only six games in, does look interesting,
though.

However, casting my view around Europe, one of the best prospects of a
surprise champion is in Scotland, where Hearts are in first place,
unbeaten, on 16 points from 6 games, 5 ahead of the nearest contenders
(Rangers, Hibs, and Livingston (!)). Celtic are only sixth -having lost
to Hearts and Kilmarnock. I don't expect Hearts to hold on to first,
but it would be great if they did. Steven Naismith is performing
wonders for them, and has been restored to the Scotland side (where he
scored in their last game).

If we forget about championships, what do you folks think are the teams
in the various leagues most likely to force themselves unexpectedly into
the Champions' league spots (i.e. teams that have not made the CL in
years, and not obviously spent a fortune for an assault on those places
this year).

My guesses:
England - ain't going to happen. There are six contenders for the CL
(not all equal) and three of them slipping up is too much to ask this year.

France - maybe Lille ? Off to a decent enough start, and they are a
fairly big club with a big new stadium and some resources. Bouncing back
from a terrible year last year, flirting with relegation, they could get
into the top 3, especially if Monaco continue to do poorly.

Germany - Bremen and Hertha have shown early signs of doing something.
But here there are 2 spots perennially up from grabs - Leipzig,
Hoffenheim, Gladbach have all made it there, and Leverkusen and Schalke
regularly. Schalke are stinking up the joint so far, which offers an
opportunity to someone. Let's say Bremen just for fun.

Italy - I can't see anyone outside Juve, Napoli, the two Milan teams and
the two Rome teams doing it. Maybe Fiorentina. But I am pretty ill
informed about Serie A.

Spain - with none of Sevilla, Atletico, Real and Barca sputtering all
that badly, there seems to be no room.

If we made this a contest (sophisticated or not) who would you predict
as your best bets to make the CL as outsiders ?
MH
2018-09-28 22:44:29 UTC
[...]
Could Hertha actually be for real ? I have never liked them much.
Usually inept or boring in the 38 years I have been following German
football, but if they can keep pressure up on Bayern and Dortmund, more
power to them !
Bruce Scott
2018-10-03 14:14:39 UTC
Could Hertha actually be for real ? I have never liked them much.
Usually inept or boring in the 38 years I have been following German
football, but if they can keep pressure up on Bayern and Dortmund, more
power to them !
Trouble with Hertha is that they always fade in the second half of
the season. They've been in a CL spot before, and it's become a
pattern. I say BvB are real challengers this season, but only if
we don't get our act together. Favre has already said he needs
another year, and many of his players are quite young.
ciao, Bruce
Werner Pichler
2018-10-01 07:39:39 UTC
[...]
Actually leading right now following Benfica's surprise draw in Chaves.
Post by MH
nor the Netherlands (look at the table). Perhaps Belgium (Genk doing well,
but they are hardly rank outsiders), though it is early days, and the Format
allows the Anderlecht/Bruges cartel to make up a lot of ground in the
championship round.
Russia does have a couple of outsiders high in the table right now, but
still behind Zenit. Turkey, only six games in, does look interesting,
though.
Turkey is surprising mostly because of the struggles, or even downfall, of
Fenerbahçe. They lost four of the first six matches, the last one 0-3 against
newly promoted side Rizespor. Phillip Cocu's already history.
Post by MH
However, casting my view around Europe,
In both Switzerland and Austria, the reigning champions Young Boys and Salzburg
have won all of their first nine matches, so nothing to see here.

Although it's interesting to note that the changing of the Swiss guards was
completed, and one could say even formalized, by YB's 7-1 dismantling of Basel
a week ago.
Post by MH
one of the best prospects of a surprise champion is in Scotland, where Hearts
are in first place, unbeaten, on 16 points from 6 games, 5 ahead of the
nearest contenders (Rangers, Hibs, and Livingston (!)). Celtic are only sixth
-having lost to Hearts and Kilmarnock. I don't expect Hearts to hold on to
first, but it would be great if they did. Steven Naismith is performing
wonders for them, and has been restored to the Scotland side (where he
scored in their last game).
The situation in the Scottish League is indeed interesting. Both Hearts and
Livingston (against Rangers) ground out more wins this weekend. But I fully
expect Celtic to make up the six-point deficit in the course of the season,
but maybe only after they're out of Europe.
Post by MH
[...]
Salzburg! ;-)

2018-10-04 09:13:30 UTC
Russia does have a couple of outsiders high in the table right now, but
still behind Zenit. Turkey, only six games in, does look interesting,
though.
Turkey is surprising mostly because of the struggles, or even downfall, of
Fenerbahçe. They lost four of the first six matches, the last one 0-3 against
newly promoted side Rizespor. Phillip Cocu's already history.
Actually, he's not. I'm quite surprised. His payout clause must be enormous.

2018-10-23 09:11:37 UTC
Russia does have a couple of outsiders high in the table right now, but
still behind Zenit. Turkey, only six games in, does look interesting,
though.
Turkey is surprising mostly because of the struggles, or even downfall, of
Fenerbahçe. They lost four of the first six matches, the last one 0-3
against newly promoted side Rizespor. Phillip Cocu's already history.
Actually, he's not. I'm quite surprised. His payout clause must be enormous.
To follow up on this - in a rather surprising twist of events, a while ago Fener
instead of Cocu fired three of his Turkish assistant coaches for having
conspired to get Cocu sacked. Allegedly they hated him for bringing in a new
team that would eventually replace them, and set him up for failure by
misinforming him about training performances, deliberately mismanaging
training exercises and leaking team performance data to Fenerbahçe's opponents.

2018-10-29 21:51:24 UTC
[...]
And now Cocu's been fired regardless, the fifth defeat of the season in
the 10th match was too much.

Mark
2018-10-01 09:14:12 UTC
[...]
You haven't been following South American football have you? Or is unpredictability only newsworthy in Europe, because there's so little of it?
Atletico Tucuman are currently 2nd, and Huracan are 3rd in the Argentinian League. Not to mention Racing Club, who have won about 1 major trophy in the last 20 years, being top.
MH
2018-10-01 15:21:27 UTC
Post by Mark
Post by MH
If we made this a contest (sophisticated or not) who would you predict
as your best bets to make the CL as outsiders ?
You haven't been following South American football have you?
I look at the results and tables for Argentina and Brazil (more often
the latter). But these leagues are inherently unpredictable due to the
siphoning off of talent from the more successful clubs each year to
Europe, and even Mexico and MLS. PLus the Apertura/ Clausura
Inicial/Final format (recently abandoned in Argentina, I gather) added
to the chaos in quite few countries outside Brazil.

MH
2018-10-01 15:24:19 UTC
[...]
I may have spoken too soon ! Bayern, Real and Barca all stuttering,
but I expect that is just the CL effect and won't last.
Bruce Scott
2018-10-03 14:16:48 UTC
I may have spoken too soon ! Bayern, Real and Barca all stuttering,
but I expect that is just the CL effect and won't last.
For us and Real is it also a new trainer effect. Also, CRon left
them and I'm not sure how happy a camper Lewandowski is here.
ciao, Bruce
MH
2018-10-09 13:42:45 UTC
Same in Spain, today's results notwithstanding.
Well the usual suspects are looking shaky still, so who knows, maybe
Sevilla or Betis have a chance.

And Italy looks like
Post by MH
However, casting my view around Europe, one of the best prospects of
a surprise champion is in Scotland, where Hearts are in first place,
unbeaten, on 16 points from 6 games, 5 ahead of the nearest contenders
(Rangers, Hibs, and Livingston (!)). Celtic are only sixth -having lost
to Hearts and Kilmarnock. I don't expect Hearts to hold on to first,
but it would be great if they did. Steven Naismith is performing
wonders for them, and has been restored to the Scotland side (where he
scored in their last game).

Hearts have now lost for the first time (to Rangers), but the top half
of the table still looks as though it will keep some interest at least
until Christmas. And Rangers and Celtic have done well enough in the
Europa league that they will maintain an interest in that for at least a
couple more games, distracting them from the home front.

Latest Scotland squad for the European Nations League is quite heavily
SPL based (and not just Old Firm). Only EPL players are McTominay (Manu
, Robertson (Liverpool). MacDonald (Fulham), Fraser (Bournemouth), and
Armstrong (Southampton), Snodgrass (West Ham) with only Robertson among
those even vaguely approaching being a household name. Most are not
regulars for their clubs, though Fraser is getting that way.
Post by MH
England - ain't going to happen. There are six contenders for the CL
(not all equal) and three of them slipping up is too much to ask this year.

Any bets on 7th place ? I would still go with the toffees. Or maybe Man
United
Post by MH
France - maybe Lille ? Off to a decent enough start, and they are a
fairly big club with a big new stadium and some resources.

Sticking up there in second, but nobody is catching PSG. Monaco's
collapse is interesting. Any explanations ?

Bouncing back

Lille !
Binder Dundat
2018-10-09 21:02:12 UTC
Red Bull Leipzig if they can get themselves eliminated from Europa early enough.
Werner Pichler
2018-10-11 14:40:05 UTC
France - maybe Lille ? Off to a decent enough start, and they are a
fairly big club with a big new stadium and some resources.
Sticking up there in second, but nobody is catching PSG. Monaco's
collapse is interesting. Any explanations ?
Lost 10 players for 300+ m€, brought in 10 players for 100+ m€.
So logically, they're 200 m€ (or 1 Neymar in SI Units) weaker.

They've now fired their coach Jardim. Henry to the rescue?

2018-10-11 15:49:32 UTC
France - maybe Lille ? Off to a decent enough start, and they are a
fairly big club with a big new stadium and some resources.
Sticking up there in second, but nobody is catching PSG. Monaco's
collapse is interesting. Any explanations ?
Lost 10 players for 300+ m€,
Was it that many at one fell swoop? I knew Lemar, Fabinho, Gezzal,
Moutinho, Kongolo had left, plus Mbappe officially (but he was gone on
loan last year). Could not think of any others.

But this did not seem like any more than the normal Monaco exodus ever
year, that has seen players like Falcao, James, Bakoyoko, Mendy, B.
Silva, V. Germain and so on all leave.

And they did bring in some promising players like Henrichs, Golovin and
Chadli, and have some promising younger ones already.

Post by Werner Pichler
So logically, they're 200 m€ (or 1 Neymar in SI Units) weaker.
They've now fired their coach Jardim. Henry to the rescue?
So I read.
2018-11-06 20:35:44 UTC
[Monaco] have now fired their coach Jardim. Henry to the rescue?
So I read.
Not much of a rescue...

2018-11-07 22:41:15 UTC
[Monaco] have now fired their coach Jardim. Henry to the rescue?
So I read.
Not much of a rescue...
I was thinking the same. As I posted before (quoted below) I thought
Henry was a strange (and bad) choice for this job

"This seems an odd one to me. There were rumours he would go to
Bordeaux at one point, but he is completely untried, having thus far
only had experience as assistant to Roberto Martinez with Belgium.

I am surprised Monaco, who have relatively deep pockets I assume, did
not try for someone like Laurent Blanc, Didier Deschamps (after all,
having won the WC why not quit while on top, and go back to a club he
did very well at), Antoine Kombouaré (good coach, surely he can be
prised away from Guingamp ?), Rene Girard, or Eric Gerets.

Henry, especially in interviews in his native French, has always seemed
to me to be incredibly vain, hypocritical, and not very intelligent. "
2018-10-10 14:10:21 UTC
(or Wolfsburg, Kaiserslautern, Hellas Verona, Montpellier etc - teams
that unexpectedly came from nowhere to win championships)
Perhaps Belgium (Genk doing well, but they are hardly
rank outsiders), though it is early days, and the format allows the
Anderlecht/Bruges cartel to make up a lot of ground in the championship
round.
What do you know about this cartel, Michael, and should Belgian police
search your place, too?

2018-10-10 17:02:02 UTC
(or Wolfsburg, Kaiserslautern, Hellas Verona, Montpellier etc - teams
that unexpectedly came from nowhere to win championships)
Perhaps Belgium (Genk doing well, but they are hardly
rank outsiders), though it is early days, and the format allows the
Anderlecht/Bruges cartel to make up a lot of ground in the championship
round.
What do you know about this cartel, Michael, and should Belgian police
search your place, too?
Like Manuel in Fawlty Towers, " I know notheeeeeng !"

And the only 100 % Belgian in my household knows less, though the only
teams she could name would be Anderlecht and Bruges. Coincidence ? I
think not...........

(Actually, come to think of it she has heard of Standard Liege too)