Player who disappeared
a***@hotmail.com
2019-04-12 20:11:26 UTC
Today I saw Robinho's name in some Turkish league news. Remember Robinho? Yeah, I forgot all about him too, much less that he was still playing. Who are some of the greatest disappearing acts of all time? One who was super-hyped in his younger years.

Odegaard - Still only 20, but was being fought over by Europe's giants when only 16. Doesn't look like he'll amount to anything more than average.

Robinho - As hyped as Neymar at the same age, actually played well for Real Madrid at time but then became a journeyman and ended up in the Chinese abyss. Now back in Europe again but nobody cares.

Mendieta - Became the most expensive player of all time when he went to Lazio, at a time when they were the financial big daddys of the world, but flunked and ended his career in Middlesborough.

Denilson - A few fancy stepovers convinced Betis (Betis!!??) to shatter the world record for him. Maybe the most famous dud of all time.

Honorable mention for Balotelli. Has won trophies but still not the man his physical talents should have made him.

Who did I forgot?
Werner Pichler
2019-04-12 20:56:21 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Today I saw Robinho's name in some Turkish league news. Remember Robinho?
Yeah, I forgot all about him too, much less that he was still playing. Who
are some of the greatest disappearing acts of all time? One who was super
-hyped in his younger years.
Odegaard - Still only 20, but was being fought over by Europe's giants
when only 16. Doesn't look like he'll amount to anything more than
average.
Robinho - As hyped as Neymar at the same age, actually played well for
Real Madrid at time but then became a journeyman and ended up in the
Chinese abyss. Now back in Europe again but nobody cares.
The Italian judiciary system cares.
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Mendieta - Became the most expensive player of all time when he went to
Lazio, at a time when they were the financial big daddys of the world, but
flunked and ended his career in Middlesborough.
Denilson - A few fancy stepovers convinced Betis (Betis!!??) to shatter
the world record for him. Maybe the most famous dud of all time.
Honorable mention for Balotelli. Has won trophies but still not the man
his physical talents should have made him.
Who did I forgot?
The 'Chinese abyss' should yield some more names, like Pato. There are
always a lot of Brazilian names on these lists (Keirrison, Ganso, Kerlon,
Gabriel Barbosa,...), but whether that's because they re really not living
up to their potential or because being Brazilian they've been overhyped from
the start is up to debate I guess.

And then there's Bojan.

Jesus Petry
2019-04-12 21:14:05 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Mendieta - Became the most expensive player of all time when he went to
Lazio, at a time when they were the financial big daddys of the world, but
flunked and ended his career in Middlesborough.
Denilson - A few fancy stepovers convinced Betis (Betis!!??) to shatter
the world record for him. Maybe the most famous dud of all time.
Honorable mention for Balotelli. Has won trophies but still not the man
his physical talents should have made him.
Who did I forgot?
The 'Chinese abyss' should yield some more names, like Pato.
He's now back at São Paulo.
Post by Werner Pichler
There are
always a lot of Brazilian names on these lists (Keirrison, Ganso, Kerlon,
Gabriel Barbosa,...), but whether that's because they re really not living
up to their potential or because being Brazilian they've been overhyped from
the start is up to debate I guess.
Oscar is also in China and reportedly playing well.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Mark
2019-04-13 10:23:05 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Mendieta - Became the most expensive player of all time when he went to
Lazio, at a time when they were the financial big daddys of the world, but
flunked and ended his career in Middlesborough.
Denilson - A few fancy stepovers convinced Betis (Betis!!??) to shatter
the world record for him. Maybe the most famous dud of all time.
Honorable mention for Balotelli. Has won trophies but still not the man
his physical talents should have made him.
Who did I forgot?
The 'Chinese abyss' should yield some more names, like Pato.
He's now back at São Paulo.
Is that a good sign for Pato or a bad sign for Sao Paulo?
What ever happened to Kerlon?; and Geilson I think his name was?, I think he replaced Robinho at Santos.
a***@hotmail.com
Pato and Bojan are good ones. I actually faintly remember someone on RSS commenting (circa 2008/09) on why Barca needs Messi when they have Krkic.
Bruce Scott
2019-04-13 16:16:19 UTC
Mendieta - [...]
For me the biggest case of you can't take a bird out of its forest.
External boundary conditions mean a lot for some players.
The 'Chinese abyss' [...]
Witzel was someone who'd gone lost there but he saved himself with
a good performance in the World Cup.

I think perhaps the first "disappearance to Asia" was Schilacci after
1990. Did Zico go before, actually, or later as I imagined?
ciao, Bruce
Werner Pichler
2019-04-13 19:06:48 UTC
Post by Bruce Scott
Mendieta - [...]
For me the biggest case of you can't take a bird out of its forest.
External boundary conditions mean a lot for some players.
The 'Chinese abyss' [...]
Witzel was someone who'd gone lost there but he saved himself with
a good performance in the World Cup.
Carrasco, too. The Chinese Abyss is not absolute.

Mehdi
2019-04-14 01:28:51 UTC
Post by Bruce Scott
Witzel was someone who'd gone lost there but he saved himself with
a good performance in the World Cup.
I think perhaps the first "disappearance to Asia" was Schilacci after
1990. Did Zico go before, actually, or later as I imagined?
Despite their world cup heroics, both players were largely one season
wonders at club level.
MH
2019-04-14 17:11:55 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by Bruce Scott
Witzel was someone who'd gone lost there but he saved himself with
a good performance in the World Cup.
I think perhaps the first "disappearance to Asia" was Schilacci after
1990.  Did Zico go before, actually, or later as I imagined?
Despite their world cup heroics, both players were largely one season
wonders at club level.
Am I misunderstanding you, or are you saying Zico was a one season
wonder at club level ? Because that is seriously wrong. Sure he only
had one (fabulously successful 19 goals in 24 games) season out of the
two he spent at Udinese, but he was already 30 when he moved there, and
had won 7 Carioca championships, 3 Brazilian championships, a
Libertadores, and an intercontinental cup. He was the leading player on
what was at the time one of the best teams in the world (Flamengo).
His last four seasons in Brazil were (Games/Goals) 45/40, 55/39, 48/44,
and 28/20. Those would be impressive numbers for a start centre
forward, which he was not.
Mehdi
2019-04-15 01:42:47 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by Bruce Scott
[...]
My mistak.e For some reason I thought he was talking about Italy's other
World Cup hero and one season wonder, Rossi.
Lleo
2019-04-15 02:38:56 UTC
Post by Bruce Scott
Mendieta - [...]
For me the biggest case of you can't take a bird out of its forest.
External boundary conditions mean a lot for some players.
The 'Chinese abyss' [...]
Witzel was someone who'd gone lost there but he saved himself with
a good performance in the World Cup.
I think perhaps the first "disappearance to Asia" was Schilacci after
1990. Did Zico go before, actually, or later as I imagined?
Zico went to Japan in 1991, after a brief retirement (his last match for
Flamengo was in 1989).

--
Lléo

Jesper Lauridsen
2019-04-14 17:37:57 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Odegaard - Still only 20, but was being fought over by Europe's
giants when only 16. Doesn't look like he'll amount to anything more
than average.
He shows up regularly with clips of some nice goals he's scoring in NL.
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Robinho - As hyped as Neymar at the same age, actually played well
for Real Madrid at time but then became a journeyman and ended up in
the Chinese abyss. Now back in Europe again but nobody cares.
He is 35 by now,
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Who did I forgot?
On a much smaller scale, but I just learned than Jan Kirchhoff is
playing for humble Magdeburg. I thought he had retired.
MH
2019-04-14 18:48:52 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Who did I forgot?
On a much smaller scale, but I just learned than Jan Kirchhoff is
playing for humble Magdeburg. I thought he had retired.
Ryan Babel has resurfaced in the EPL, and looked good yesterday. He has
been in that reservoir of talented rejects, the Turkish super league for
a while