Copa America QF 2024 Col v Pan Uru v Bra
Add Reply
Mark
2024-07-06 11:06:03 UTC
The big one!

And on paper an easy win for Colombia. But as we all know, the matches
aren't played on paper, they're played on grass.
MH
2024-07-06 15:58:55 UTC
Post by Mark
The big one!
And on paper an easy win for Colombia. But as we all know, the matches
aren't played on paper, they're played on grass.
Not sure about the last part of that in this year's Copa. Some cases of
terrible pitches laid on top of artificial, some might even be
artificial (not sure about that) - eg. fieldturf.
Lléo
2024-07-07 07:19:13 UTC
Post by Mark
The big one!
And on paper an easy win for Colombia. But as we all know, the matches
aren't played on paper, they're played on grass.
From State Farm Stadium, Glendale:

Colombia 5-0 Panama

Indeed a very very easy win for Colombia who, beyond being a very
well-coached unit (kudos to Nestor Lorenzo's work), seems to be on a
roll. That and the fragility of the opponent, of course. Panama never
really stood a chance and was way out of their depth at this level.

About the big one, at Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas:

Uruguay 0-0 Brasil (Uruguay wins 4-2 on pso)

Might have been one of the worst games I've seen in a while. Almost
unwatchable, with a lot of fouls and misplaced passes. Uruguay was
generally the better side, occupying spaces more smartly and usually
cornering Brasil on their half for most of the time. But they also
fouled a lot and failed to make their superiority count in front of the
Brazilian goal. Brasil, for its part, was quite happy to reciprocate,
only without troubling Rochet as much.

Things became more level when Nandez was sent off for a kick on
Rodrygo's ankle. A man down, Uruguay had to set their stall to defend.
Still, Brasil could do little to nothing for the 20something minutes
they had the 11-vs-10 advantage.

On penalties, Valverde, Betancur, de Arrascaeta and Ugarte all scored,
while Gimenez had his shot (the 4th) stopped by Alisson. Rochet stopped
Militão's effort (the 1st) and Douglas Luiz hit the post (3rd). Andreas
Pereira and Gabriel Martinelli scored for Brasil.

End of line for Brasil, while Uruguay lives to fight another day. But I
felt they should have done better today. While we're still projecting an
Argentina vs Uruguay final, I guess it looks like Colombia will have
quite a bit to say about it when the two teams meet on July 10th, in
Charlotte. Uruguay will definitely need to raise their game for that
one, from today's showing.

Before the game, asked about whoever was the favorite for this game
(given Vinicius Jr.'s absence and Uruguay's better run in the group
stage), Andreas Pereira said something like "our midfield is very good,
Premier League players, and if we take name by name we have a team that
they only dream to have in Uruguay".

I was reminded of Neymar twitting "Neynight mode on" at the eve of the
2021 final... they never learn. Or rather, they learn from fools, which
yields the same. This became motivation fuel for Uruguay and, in a
post-match interview, Luis Suarez said that "the guy who made this
comment was de Arrascaeta's reserve" (when Andreas played for Flamengo),
so "you can imagine what it was for us to hear such a thing".

There was this image, before the shootout, of Uruguayan players arranged
in a circle with Bielsa at the center, with the players paying attention
and listening to what he had to say; while the Brazilians, in contrast,
"locked out" Dorival Junior of their circle and ignored his attempts to
join them and say something.

I felt for Dorival on that one. I mean, while I think there are no good
enough Brazilian managers to take Brasil to the next level, and that the
job should go to a foreigner, Dorival doesn't really deserve to be
treated like that. He downplayed the whole thing in the post-match
interview and it indeed may not mean much of anything. But it did not
feel "right" at all. In any case, Brasil has a long way to go in order
to be in condition to challenge for anything in 2026.

Well, Copa goes on, with the current three best teams in the continent
(Argentina, Uruguay and Colombia) plus one surprise team that has earned
its place this far (Canada).

Best regards,

Lléo
The Doctor
2024-07-07 12:31:19 UTC
Post by Lléo
Post by Mark
[...]
SFs Argentina / Canada and Columbia / Uruguay
--
Member - Liberal International This is ***@nk.ca Ici ***@nk.ca
Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism ;