Game Of The EPL Throne [R]
anders t
2019-05-12 12:59:53 UTC
Who will it be? Man City or Liverpool? We shall soon see.
--
Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08
a***@hotmail.com
2019-05-12 14:55:50 UTC
Post by anders t
Who will it be? Man City or Liverpool? We shall soon see.
Man City of course.

Brighton actually took the lead, but were still in dreamland and let Aguero slip in an equalizer 120 seconds later. Then City took the lead a few mins later. Aguero has to be the clutchiest player in the EPL.

Liverpool winning 1-0 also.
Jesper Lauridsen
2019-05-12 15:17:16 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by anders t
Who will it be? Man City or Liverpool? We shall soon see.
Man City of course.
Brighton actually took the lead, but were still in dreamland and let Aguero slip in an equalizer 120 seconds later. Then City took the lead a few mins later. Aguero has to be the clutchiest player in the EPL.
Liverpool winning 1-0 also.
Only one goal in it. I have tickets for an important game that kicks
off in 45 minutes, but I can't leave when it isn't over.
Jesper Lauridsen
City up 1-3. It's so over.
anders t
anders t
2019-05-12 15:45:26 UTC
Google Beta User
2019-05-12 16:04:26 UTC
Laugh but unlike 2001, 2009 and 2014 I don’t see how this Liverpool team *doesnt* get better. Let’s see.

Extremely heartbreaking and depressing though. I hope it motivates the team for June 1.

Also minor bonus is to see the full-blown Evertonification of Man U. Fans Happy about losing 0-2 to Cardiff but all cool, Liverpool didn’t win the league so seasons a success!!
a***@hotmail.com
2019-05-12 16:16:36 UTC
Post by anders t
https://images.says.com/uploads/story_source/source_image/354292/23af.jpg
Cute meme, but can't complain after putting up 97 point. A higher point total than every one of Ferguson's 13 title winning teams.

We are pretty unlucky that we're up against the greatest team in the history of the English league.

Still playing for a prestigious trophy in 3 weeks.
Murat Bey
2019-05-12 20:04:01 UTC
That would probably be the treble winning United team. City are good but I don't see how they are the "greatest team in the 'history of the English league'".
a***@hotmail.com
2019-05-12 22:34:31 UTC
Post by Murat Bey
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by anders t
https://images.says.com/uploads/story_source/source_image/354292/23af.jpg
Cute meme, but can't complain after putting up 97 point. A higher point total than every one of Ferguson's 13 title winning teams.
We are pretty unlucky that we're up against the greatest team in the history of the English league.
That would probably be the treble winning United team. City are good but I don't see how they are the "greatest team in the 'history of the English league'".
By the most objective measure available - points won. They have 198 points over two seasons, that's astounding.

Granted, I am using a shorter-term measure. Liverpool in the 80s and United in the 00s were dominant for longer. But over a 2 year stretch, this City team is untouchable.
Mehdi
2019-05-12 23:29:36 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
By the most objective measure available - points won. They have 198 points over two seasons, that's astounding.
Granted, I am using a shorter-term measure. Liverpool in the 80s and United in the 00s were dominant for longer. But over a 2 year stretch, this City team is untouchable.
VAR should take care of Kompany sacking opposition players. Then piling
on the points won't be so easy.
MH
2019-05-13 03:43:19 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by a***@hotmail.com
By the most objective measure available - points won. They have 198
points over two seasons, that's astounding.
It is indeed. And they still might win the treble of domestic trophies
this year, to go with the two they won last year. 106 goals and + 79 GD
last year, 95 goals and plus 72 this time. Fairly lengthy absences
through injury of De Bruyne and Fernandinho missed key games as well.

Now all this could be because the opposition is just not very good, but
Liverpool's points total and the identity of the 4 European finalists
this year would suggest that may not be the case.
Post by Mehdi
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Granted, I am using a shorter-term measure. Liverpool in the 80s and
United in the 00s were dominant for longer. But over a 2 year stretch,
this City team is untouchable.
VAR should take care of Kompany sacking opposition players. Then piling
on the points won't be so easy.
How do you figure that ? He only played in 17 games this season (fewer
than Laporte, Stones and Otamendi). Given his age and proclevity for
getting injured, I don't see Kompany staying in front of Stones in the
pecking order for central defenders for very long next year.
Mehdi
2019-05-13 10:17:28 UTC
Post by Mehdi
VAR should take care of Kompany sacking opposition players. Then
piling on the points won't be so easy.
How do you figure that ? He only played in 17 games this season (fewer
than Laporte, Stones and Otamendi).  Given his age and proclevity for
getting injured, I don't see Kompany staying in front of Stones in the
pecking order for central defenders for very long next year.
Kompany has personality, the others don't. They're the type who look
good when the team are playing well but they're not fighters. Kompany
has been crucial in recent weeks when the goals have dried up and when
they've needed leadership.
The Doctor
2019-05-13 16:08:41 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
Post by Mehdi
VAR should take care of Kompany sacking opposition players. Then
piling on the points won't be so easy.
How do you figure that ? He only played in 17 games this season (fewer
than Laporte, Stones and Otamendi).  Given his age and proclevity for
getting injured, I don't see Kompany staying in front of Stones in the
pecking order for central defenders for very long next year.
Kompany has personality, the others don't. They're the type who look
good when the team are playing well but they're not fighters. Kompany
has been crucial in recent weeks when the goals have dried up and when
they've needed leadership.
Kompany is a red card thug just like any another Man C, Man U, Liverpool,
Everton, or Sheff U player.
Newfoundland on 16 May 2019, do not vote PC nor NDP!
a***@hotmail.com
2019-05-13 16:10:45 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
Post by Mehdi
VAR should take care of Kompany sacking opposition players. Then
piling on the points won't be so easy.
How do you figure that ? He only played in 17 games this season (fewer
than Laporte, Stones and Otamendi).  Given his age and proclevity for
getting injured, I don't see Kompany staying in front of Stones in the
pecking order for central defenders for very long next year.
Kompany has personality, the others don't. They're the type who look
good when the team are playing well but they're not fighters. Kompany
has been crucial in recent weeks when the goals have dried up and when
they've needed leadership.
City's backbone - Kompany (33), Fernandinho (34), D. Silva (33), and Aguero (30) is aging. The only one who has a successor at par is D. Silva (B. Silva). Stones lacks Kompany's personality (as you point out) and Jesus is a good player but not Aguero levels, which are phenomenal and underrated. Fernandinho has no quality successor - they have been chasing one for over a year.

It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their level next season (the pundits seem to auto-assume that they will).
MH
2019-05-13 20:51:52 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
Post by Mehdi
VAR should take care of Kompany sacking opposition players. Then
piling on the points won't be so easy.
How do you figure that ? He only played in 17 games this season (fewer
than Laporte, Stones and Otamendi).  Given his age and proclevity for
getting injured, I don't see Kompany staying in front of Stones in the
pecking order for central defenders for very long next year.
Kompany has personality, the others don't. They're the type who look
good when the team are playing well but they're not fighters. Kompany
has been crucial in recent weeks when the goals have dried up and when
they've needed leadership.
City's backbone - Kompany (33), Fernandinho (34), D. Silva (33), and Aguero (30) is aging.
Aren't we all ?
Post by a***@hotmail.com
The only one who has a successor at par is D. Silva (B. Silva). Stones lacks Kompany's personality (as you point out) and Jesus is a good >player but not Aguero levels, which are phenomenal and underrated. Fernandinho has no quality successor - they have been chasing one for >over a year.
On the other hand, Laporte, who I thought was the second best central
defender in the EPL over the whole season, is only 24, and so is Stones
(OK, they both turn 25 later this month, but anyway)

B. Silva is 24, Sterling too, and Sané is 23. Mendy if he can get fit
again, is 24,

Gundogan is 28, as is Mahrez, and De Bruyne is 27. Walker is 28, Ederson
25. Zinchenko is 22, Foden 18.

So while some key players are definitely getting on, the whole squad is
hardly a geriatric one.

If they ditch Otamendi, Danilo, Mangala, Delph and Fernaninho, and
replace with a good central defender, a strong central midfielder and a
better striker than G. Jesus, they will be in very good shape.
Mehdi
2019-05-14 01:58:21 UTC
B. Silva is 24, Sterling too, and Sané is 23. Mendy if he can get fit
again, is 24,
Guardiola doesn't trust Sane and Mendy is a fucking idiot.
Post by MH
Gundogan is 28, as is Mahrez, and De Bruyne is 27. Walker is 28, Ederson
25. Zinchenko is 22, Foden 18.
So while some key players are definitely getting on, the whole squad is
hardly a geriatric one.
If they ditch Otamendi, Danilo, Mangala, Delph and Fernaninho, and
replace with a good central defender, a strong central midfielder and a
better striker than G. Jesus, they will be in very good shape.
True, unless others get there first and that's how to topple this Man
City side, to be first in the transfer market. Too many sides drag
things out.
a***@hotmail.com
2019-05-14 14:09:53 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by Mehdi
Post by a***@hotmail.com
[...]
I'm not suggesting that City is facing any kind of decline. Rather that they have some iconic and important players on the wrong side of 30 (as opposed to Liverpool who are a younger team). Aguero is still youngish and D. Silva's position has a lot of quality depth so they should be fine there. Kompany and Fernandinho are bigger concerns, especially the latter.

P.S. Mendy is a total write-off. He is injured 80% of the time and while injured he's out partying until 4am. Guardiola has lost all faith in him, judging by some of his comments.
Murat Bey
2019-05-19 15:08:24 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by Mehdi
Post by a***@hotmail.com
It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their level next season (the pundits seem to auto-assume that they will).
There's a rumor that City might sell Sane this summer (probably to Bayern). I don't know who they'll replace him with but they also need to replace Fernandinho, need a centerback, probably a right back (Danilo will probably leave), maybe a left back, and I agree on replacing Jesus with someone better.

They'll probably sell Danilo, maybe Otamendi as well, and Sane is rumored, and there's also a rumor about Gundogan not extending his contract which is due to expire in 2020.

Liverpool will pour money into transfer market and they'll probably buy a better defender next to Van Djik, probably a winger/forward and a creative midfielder or two.
a***@hotmail.com
2019-05-19 16:13:42 UTC
Post by Murat Bey
Post by MH
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by Mehdi
Post by a***@hotmail.com
It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their level next season (the pundits seem to auto-assume that they will).
There's a rumor that City might sell Sane this summer (probably to Bayern). I don't know who they'll replace him with but they also need to replace Fernandinho, need a centerback, probably a right back (Danilo will probably leave), maybe a left back, and I agree on replacing Jesus with someone better.
They'll probably sell Danilo, maybe Otamendi as well, and Sane is rumored, and there's also a rumor about Gundogan not extending his contract which is due to expire in 2020.
Liverpool will pour money into transfer market
I don't think so. Klopp has already said that the big spending was last year and now he wants to focus on developing and improving the existing squad.
Post by Murat Bey
and they'll probably buy a better defender next to Van Djik
I hope so, but I don't think we will unless one of the current four leaves.
Post by Murat Bey
probably a winger/forward
Yes for sure. Sturridge will leave and we need a higher quality backup up front. We were very lucky that none of the front three went down with a major injury last season. Both Werner and Brandt have been linked. Brandt has a release clause of just 25M Euro so he seems more likely. Werner will cost in the 60-80M range and I don't think Klopp will sanction that.
Post by Murat Bey
and a creative midfielder or two.
I don't think so. Klopp's revised system lessens the need for a traditional playmaker. Firmino often drops deep, and the fullbacks had 23 assists last season. Those are our playmakers. Salah also makes a shit ton of assists (under the radar) - 18 assists in two seasons.

We will need a backup keeper though since Mignolet will likely leave for first team football. Also, probably a replacement for our departing village idiot, Alberto Moreno.
Werner Pichler
2019-05-22 15:20:52 UTC
Post by Murat Bey
probably a winger/forward
Yes for sure. Sturridge will leave and we need a higher quality backup up
front. We were very lucky that none of the front three went down with a Major
injury last season. Both Werner and Brandt have been linked. Brandt has a
release clause of just 25M Euro so he seems more likely.
Dortmund, known raider of rival Bundesliga teams, snapped him up.
Post by Murat Bey
and a creative midfielder or two.
I don't think so. Klopp's revised system lessens the need for a traditional
playmaker. Firmino often drops deep, and the fullbacks had 23 assists last
season. Those are our playmakers. Salah also makes a shit ton of assists
(under the radar) - 18 assists in two seasons.
We will need a backup keeper though since Mignolet will likely leave for
first team football. Also, probably a replacement for our departing Village
idiot, Alberto Moreno.
I think I will miss Albertodotm.

2019-05-22 16:59:48 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by Murat Bey
probably a winger/forward
Yes for sure. Sturridge will leave and we need a higher quality backup up
front. We were very lucky that none of the front three went down with a Major
injury last season. Both Werner and Brandt have been linked. Brandt has a
release clause of just 25M Euro so he seems more likely.
Dortmund, known raider of rival Bundesliga teams, snapped him up.
And also Thorgan Hazard and Nico Shulz. Nobody leaving yet apart from
the over-rated Pulisic. Sancho alleged priced at 80 million, which is
reportedly killing Man United's interest in him.
that.
Mehdi
2019-05-23 11:30:53 UTC
And also Thorgan Hazard and Nico Shulz. Nobody leaving yet apart from
the over-rated Pulisic.  Sancho alleged priced at 80 million, which is
reportedly killing Man United's interest in him.
They need a defence and goalkeeper. Burki is the worst goalkeeper at a
major club. Sancho is easily worth 80 million. Ok, he could be a one
season wonder but somehow I doubt it. If he maintains this next season,
his value will increase.
a***@hotmail.com
2019-05-22 17:19:49 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
We will need a backup keeper though since Mignolet will likely leave for
first team football. Also, probably a replacement for our departing Village
idiot, Alberto Moreno.
I think I will miss Albertodotm.
Dot M wore many hats for us. Apart from being class clown off the pitch and Calamity Moe on it, he was also the resident valet for the club's Brazilian players. Somehow he became an honorary Brazilian within the squad, possibly because he was butt-buddies with Coutinho, but he practically eats, bathes, and sleeps with them.

In fact Alisson said that his transition to Merseyside was helped by Firmino (Brazilian), Salah (ex-Roma teammate), and Dot M (Alisson wasn't quite sure why, except that Moreno just stood there with a look that said I'll be your friend, that's one of the dwindling reasons I'm still here).

He will be missed.
Mehdi
2019-05-14 01:55:14 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
City's backbone - Kompany (33), Fernandinho (34), D. Silva (33), and Aguero (30) is aging. The only one who has a successor at par is D. Silva (B. Silva). Stones lacks Kompany's personality (as you point out) and Jesus is a good player but not Aguero levels, which are phenomenal and underrated. Fernandinho has no quality successor - they have been chasing one for over a year.
It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their level next season (the pundits seem to auto-assume that they will).
I thought the same thing at first but they have options in midfield -
KDB and Foden should have a bigger impact next season. Guardiola's
reliance on tedious square passing protects the shitty defence but if
teams can get at that defence, then they're vulnerable. None of their
defenders are especially good, you wouldn't trust them in a one vs one
for example, even Laporte. As we've seen from Guardiola's teams in
Europe, under pressure, his shit defenders are exposed and crumble
because they're not used to being tested. It happened at Barcelona (who
can forget the magical beating Bayern gave them), it happened against
Liverpool last season and against Lyon and Spurs this season. If VAR is
implemented correctly, they should take several red cards for cheap shot
fouls. Whether Liverpool can take advantage of that is another matter as
Salah, Mane and Firmino will be playing in the AFCON and Copa America.
Klopp has done fantastically well in the transfer market. Two more high
quality signings and they can topple Man City.
MH
2019-05-14 15:15:34 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by a***@hotmail.com
[...]
That was under Tito Vilanova's watch. Pep left Barca in 2012, the 7-0
was in the semifinal of 2013.

, it happened against
Post by Mehdi
Liverpool last season and against Lyon and Spurs this season. If VAR is
implemented correctly, they should take several red cards for cheap shot
fouls. Whether Liverpool can take advantage of that is another matter as
Salah, Mane and Firmino will be playing in the AFCON and Copa America.
AFCON Held in summer this year, so I assume you mean tiredness rather
than absence for several weeks, as was the case in the past. Brazil
will presumably badly want to win the Copa this year, as hosts, but that
does not mean Firmino is an automatic selection, or will play all that
much even if he is in the squad.
Mehdi
2019-05-15 03:06:49 UTC
That was under Tito Vilanova's watch. Pep left Barca in 2012, the 7-0
was in the semifinal of 2013.
Noted.
Post by MH
AFCON Held in summer this year, so I assume you mean tiredness rather
than absence for several weeks, as was the case in the past. Brazil
will presumably badly want to win the Copa this year, as hosts, but that
does not mean Firmino is an automatic selection, or will play all that
much even if he is in the squad.
These players also played at the World Cup. This is going to be two
summers in a row in which they haven't had a rest. Liverpool had a dip
in form in mid season and finish strongly. The best strategy, especially
if they go on to win the European Cup, would be to tank in both domestic
cups (as Klopp would have won a trophy, there will be less pressure on
him to deliver silverware next year) and focus on the league and UCL.
Liverpool will be swimming in money after finishing second and going
deep into the UCL. Revenue from the EPL is 171 million and the UCL will
bring in another 80+ million, so that's over 250 million euros. More
than enough to strengthen the bench and by strengthen I mean signing
good players, not crap like the OX, who has 12 career EPL goals to his name.
Werner Pichler
2019-05-19 12:44:35 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
Post by Mehdi
VAR should take care of Kompany sacking opposition players. Then
piling on the points won't be so easy.
How do you figure that ? He only played in 17 games this season (fewer
than Laporte, Stones and Otamendi).  Given his age and proclevity for
getting injured, I don't see Kompany staying in front of Stones in the
pecking order for central defenders for very long next year.
Kompany has personality, the others don't. They're the type who look
good when the team are playing well but they're not fighters. Kompany
has been crucial in recent weeks when the goals have dried up and when
they've needed leadership.
And now Kompany's off, instead taking over Anderlecht as player-manager.
Now that's something I didn't expect, and quite interesting, too.

Abubakr
Nice!
MH
2019-05-19 15:01:52 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
Post by Mehdi
VAR should take care of Kompany sacking opposition players. Then
piling on the points won't be so easy.
How do you figure that ? He only played in 17 games this season (fewer
than Laporte, Stones and Otamendi).  Given his age and proclevity for
getting injured, I don't see Kompany staying in front of Stones in the
pecking order for central defenders for very long next year.
Kompany has personality, the others don't. They're the type who look
good when the team are playing well but they're not fighters. Kompany
has been crucial in recent weeks when the goals have dried up and when
they've needed leadership.
And now Kompany's off, instead taking over Anderlecht as player-manager.
Now that's something I didn't expect, and quite interesting, too.
Anderlecht seems to have had a major melt-down this year, so maybe they
need someone like him.
a***@hotmail.com
Hopefully he doesn't end up like Thierry Henry.
Mehdi
2019-05-20 05:33:44 UTC
Kompany strikes me as an intelligent man, a leader. Henry doesn't.
Jesper Lauridsen
2019-05-26 14:17:50 UTC
And now Kompany's off, instead taking over Anderlecht as player-manager.
Now that's something I didn't expect, and quite interesting, too.
Anderlecht seems to have had a major melt-down this year, so maybe they
need someone like him.
That seems to be a theme for his ex-clubs this year.

Jesper Lauridsen
2019-05-12 21:14:27 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by anders t
https://images.says.com/uploads/story_source/source_image/354292/23af.jpg
Cute meme, but can't complain after putting up 97 point. A higher
point total than every one of Ferguson's 13 title winning teams.
We are pretty unlucky that we're up against the greatest team in the
history of the English league.
City had to win 14 games in a row to win the title by a single point.

So we have:
City
Champions League finalist (1 point behind)
Champions League finalist (26)
Europa League finalist (27)
Europa League finalist (28)
Manchester United (32)