"Frugal" Bayern
a***@hotmail.com
2019-03-27 17:30:33 UTC
Drop 80M Euros on a leftback, Lucas Hernandez.

A wounded animal roars the loudest. Expect Real Madrid to roar even louder. A summer of insanity ahead, no doubt.
MH
2019-03-27 21:27:13 UTC
I wonder what this means for Alaba ? Is he going to be for sale ?
Werner Pichler
2019-03-28 07:37:34 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Drop 80M Euros on a leftback, Lucas Hernandez.
A wounded animal roars the loudest. Expect Real Madrid to roar even louder.
A summer of insanity ahead, no doubt.
I wonder what this means for Alaba ? Is he going to be for sale ?
Don't think so, although I wouldn't exactly mind it looking at his stagnation
these last few years. I guess the plan is for Hernandez to replace one of Hummels/Boateng, and that he can give Alaba a run for his money on the LB
position and so maybe light a fire under his backside is a bonus.

One can raise an eyebrow at the price though, especially considering that the
first thing Hernandez will do as a Bayern player is to get under the knife for
a knee injury they only discovered during the medical tests preceding the
transfer.

Mehdi
2019-03-28 12:13:18 UTC
Don't think so, although I wouldn't exactly mind it looking at his stagnation
these last few years. I guess the plan is for Hernandez to replace one of Hummels/Boateng, and that he can give Alaba a run for his money on the LB
position and so maybe light a fire under his backside is a bonus.
One can raise an eyebrow at the price though, especially considering that the
first thing Hernandez will do as a Bayern player is to get under the knife for
a knee injury they only discovered during the medical tests preceding the
transfer.
How do you pay so much for a guy that has had 66 appearance in 4
seasons? Given they have old farts and cripples to replace, throwing
around so much money is awfully stupid. Maybe the board need to be
sacked, not the coaches.
a***@hotmail.com
2019-03-28 13:54:49 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Drop 80M Euros on a leftback, Lucas Hernandez.
A wounded animal roars the loudest. Expect Real Madrid to roar even louder. A summer of insanity ahead, no doubt.
I wonder what this means for Alaba ? Is he going to be for sale ?
I understand Hernandez can play CB too, so he's probably bought for versatility as well. I'm not sure though if 6'0" is an adequate height for a CB, unless you've got a big vertical jump (like CR7, for example).

Also, this would allow Alaba to play in midfield/wing, an area Bayern need reinforcements in.
MH
2019-03-28 17:33:54 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by MH
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Drop 80M Euros on a leftback, Lucas Hernandez.
A wounded animal roars the loudest. Expect Real Madrid to roar even louder. A summer of insanity ahead, no doubt.
I wonder what this means for Alaba ? Is he going to be for sale ?
I understand Hernandez can play CB too, so he's probably bought for versatility as well. I'm not sure though if 6'0" is an adequate height for a CB, unless you've got a big vertical jump (like CR7, for example).
Also, this would allow Alaba to play in midfield/wing, an area Bayern need reinforcements in.
MF they have Thiago, James, Tolisso, Goretzka, Kimmich, Martinez,
Sanches.... Wing, true Robben and Ribery's days are numbered, but they
have Coman, Davies, and Gnabry - and were actively pursuing Hudson-Odoi
a***@hotmail.com
They need quality and reliability, rather than quantity with sicknotes and geriatrics.
MH
2019-03-28 18:46:16 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by MH
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by MH
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Drop 80M Euros on a leftback, Lucas Hernandez.
A wounded animal roars the loudest. Expect Real Madrid to roar even louder. A summer of insanity ahead, no doubt.
I wonder what this means for Alaba ? Is he going to be for sale ?
I understand Hernandez can play CB too, so he's probably bought for versatility as well. I'm not sure though if 6'0" is an adequate height for a CB, unless you've got a big vertical jump (like CR7, for example).
Also, this would allow Alaba to play in midfield/wing, an area Bayern need reinforcements in.
MF they have Thiago, James, Tolisso, Goretzka, Kimmich, Martinez,
Sanches.... Wing, true Robben and Ribery's days are numbered, but they
have Coman, Davies, and Gnabry - and were actively pursuing Hudson-Odoi
They need quality and reliability, rather than quantity with sicknotes and geriatrics.
None of those midfielders is particularly old. Pretty sure Martinez is
the oldest at 30. Tolisso missed most of this year due to one serious
injury but has no previous (over 40 appearances each previous year with
Lyon, 40 for Bayern in 2017-18). I would say they have plenty of depth
in quality in MF, with several players likely still to improve (Tolisso
at 24, Goretzka at 24, Sanches at 21).

Wing they have lots of less proven options, so an upgrade there to an
established player would make sense.
Mehdi
2019-03-29 10:15:49 UTC
None of those midfielders is particularly old. Pretty sure Martinez is
the oldest at 30.  Tolisso missed most of this year due to one serious
injury but has no previous (over 40 appearances each previous year with
Lyon, 40 for Bayern in 2017-18).  I would say they have plenty of depth
in quality in MF, with several players likely still to improve (Tolisso
at 24, Goretzka at 24, Sanches at 21).
I'm not sure how you can make a case for saying Sanches hasn't been a
monumental bust. He's a one tournament wonder. Sure, there's potential
for improvement in some of those players but they have a long, long way
to go before they're world beaters. Bayern are miles away from being
serious UCL contenders, Spurs has better players.
Mehdi
2019-03-29 10:20:24 UTC
* have.
MH
2019-04-01 17:56:51 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
None of those midfielders is particularly old. Pretty sure Martinez is
the oldest at 30.  Tolisso missed most of this year due to one serious
injury but has no previous (over 40 appearances each previous year
with Lyon, 40 for Bayern in 2017-18).  I would say they have plenty of
depth in quality in MF, with several players likely still to improve
(Tolisso at 24, Goretzka at 24, Sanches at 21).
I'm not sure how you can make a case for saying Sanches hasn't been a
monumental bust. He's a one tournament wonder.
He is only 21, for goodness sake.

Sure, there's potential
Post by Mehdi
for improvement in some of those players but they have a long, long way
to go before they're world beaters. Bayern are miles away from being
serious UCL contenders, Spurs has better players.
I think you might be exaggerating a tad. Bayern have slipped this last
period, but it is a slip for being one of the top 4-5 teams in the world
to one of the top 8-10, and it is one they can address quickly with the
resources they have. I read somewhere they will spend 200 million in
the transfer window. Might well ditch Kovac as well, I shouldn't wonder.

As for Spurs, they have some players better than any Bayern has for
sure, but Bayern came pretty close to seeing off Liverpool, who are
still a bit better than Spurs (in spite of some of the evidence on
display yesterday). Certainly Kane, Eriksen, and Alderweireld would be
significant upgrades to Bayern. Not so sure about LLoris (increasingly
error prone), Vertonghen (slowing down), or the full backs.

I would put the odds of Bayern winning against Spurs right now, in a two
legged match, at about 50 %. Spurs do not have a great record against
strong teams. So far against other top 6 teams in the EPL this year
they have two wins, a draw, and 6 losses. Even at home they have beaten
Chelsea 3-1, and drawn with Arsenal 1-1, and lost to the other three.
One of their two wins was 3-0 away to United when the latter were at
their nadir under Mourinho. That was a long time ago.

Anyway Spurs are still UCL contenders (one can debate how serious). If
they can get by City (not impossible), they could get to the final and
who knows what will happen there.
Mehdi
2019-04-03 13:33:13 UTC
He is only 21, for goodness sake.
He's been a pro for four years. Young players tend to improve as they
age, not regress. I can't think of another big name youngster that has
fallen as fast as Sanches. Guys like Shaarawy and Berardi at least had
serious injuries as an excuse.
Post by MH
I think you might be exaggerating a tad.  Bayern have slipped this last
period, but it is a slip for being one of the top 4-5 teams in the world
to one of the top 8-10, and it is one they can address quickly with the
resources they have.  I read somewhere they will spend 200 million in
the transfer window.  Might well ditch Kovac as well, I shouldn't wonder.
That's more than enough money to build a very good side but it won't go
far if they continue to spend as recklessly as they did last month and,
in fact, the past few seasons. Their record in the transfer market is
terrible. Kimmich is the only signing they've made in recent years that
has gone on to become a bigger name, that has actually raised his
standing in the game. All the others, Hummels, Costa, James, Coman,
Sanches, Vidal, have either stagnated or flopped.
MH
2019-04-03 21:06:01 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
He is only 21, for goodness sake.
He's been a pro for four years. Young players tend to improve as they
age, not regress. I can't think of another big name youngster that has
fallen as fast as Sanches. Guys like Shaarawy and Berardi at least had
serious injuries as an excuse.
Sanchez missed half a season (when on loan with Swansea) with a serious
injury. His first season at Bayern Ancelotti, not known for giving
younger players much time, was the manager. He has been much more of a
regular this year, and presumably is adapting to languages and
everything more. I am not saying he is even close to living up to the
hype, but he is not a write off yet, either.
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
I think you might be exaggerating a tad.  Bayern have slipped this
last period, but it is a slip for being one of the top 4-5 teams in
the world to one of the top 8-10, and it is one they can address
quickly with the resources they have.  I read somewhere they will
spend 200 million in the transfer window.  Might well ditch Kovac as
well, I shouldn't wonder.
That's more than enough money to build a very good side but it won't go
far if they continue to spend as recklessly as they did last month and,
in fact, the past few seasons. Their record in the transfer market is
terrible. Kimmich is the only signing they've made in recent years that
has gone on to become a bigger name, that has actually raised his
standing in the game. All the others, Hummels, Costa
Costa was dynamite in his first season (especially the first half). But
then Guardiola left and Ancelotti came.

James,

He is still only on loan.

Coman,
Post by Mehdi
Sanches, Vidal, have either stagnated or flopped.
They have got good value out of Lewandowski. And Neuer. Goretzka may
yet turn out to have been good value as well

Mehdi
2019-03-29 10:10:58 UTC
MF they have Thiago, James, Tolisso, Goretzka, Kimmich, Martinez,
Sanches.... Wing, true Robben and Ribery's days are numbered, but they
have Coman, Davies, and Gnabry - and were actively pursuing Hudson-Odoi
Is that supposed to terrify Europe? I'd fancy Watford or Atalanta
against that garbage.

Bayern's chances of signing CHO appear to be slim. There's too much hype
around the kid in England, most of it isn't really justified but
everyone is convinced he's going to do a Sancho. Sarri has the Italian
disease of picking old farts so while he remains, which isn't likely to
be beyond this season, CHO isn't going to get a look in. Transfer ban or
no transfer ban, they're not going to pass on 100 million for Hazard
when he only has a year left on his contract. If they're smart and do
something brave like appoint Lampard as a coach, I think CHO stays.

Bayern need to take a look at their youth policy. How many of their
starters are from their youth team? Zero? I don't understand why they
have a rep for being a well run club. They're only well run in terms of
finances, in other ways their management is piss poor. All they do is
sign players other German teams develop and occasionally thrown money on
foreigners the big teams wouldn't touch.
a***@hotmail.com
2019-03-29 14:54:48 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
MF they have Thiago, James, Tolisso, Goretzka, Kimmich, Martinez,
Sanches.... Wing, true Robben and Ribery's days are numbered, but they
have Coman, Davies, and Gnabry - and were actively pursuing Hudson-Odoi
Is that supposed to terrify Europe? I'd fancy Watford or Atalanta
against that garbage.
Bayern's chances of signing CHO appear to be slim. There's too much hype
around the kid in England, most of it isn't really justified but
everyone is convinced he's going to do a Sancho. Sarri has the Italian
disease of picking old farts so while he remains, which isn't likely to
be beyond this season, CHO isn't going to get a look in. Transfer ban or
no transfer ban, they're not going to pass on 100 million for Hazard
when he only has a year left on his contract. If they're smart and do
something brave like appoint Lampard as a coach, I think CHO stays.
They are also getting Pulisic. With Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi as the up-and-comers and Willian and Pedro as the old hands they are more than covered at winger. Getting 100M for a 29yo Hazard would be a bit of a robbery.
With 6 titles and 1 CL in the last 6 years they'd argue that they have done a good job. Every top team has a cycle and Bayern's current one is coming to an end. They did reinforce in midfield (Tolisso) and defense (Sule) recently, the complaint against then should be that they neglected the attacking department. Lewa, Muller, Robben, Ribery were/are all getting on in years and the current alternatives are nowhere as good.
MH
2019-03-29 16:32:53 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Post by MH
MF they have Thiago, James, Tolisso, Goretzka, Kimmich, Martinez,
Sanches....  Wing, true Robben and Ribery's days are numbered, but they
have Coman, Davies, and Gnabry - and were actively pursuing Hudson-Odoi
Is that supposed to terrify Europe? I'd fancy Watford or Atalanta
against that garbage.
Gross exaggeration. The Bundesliga is the 3rd ranked league in UEFA,
and Bayern is the 3rd ranked team in the team 5 year rankings. Those
players are a bit better than you give them credit for. After all, they
have multiple caps for some of the best national teams in Europe.

Bayern needs a face lift, for sure, but over the last 4 seasons they
were CL semifinalists 3 times, and made the quarterfinals once. They
lost twice to Real, once to Barca and once to Atleti. Not really a
record of shame, or indication that their players are Watford quality.
Post by Mehdi
Bayern's chances of signing CHO appear to be slim. There's too much hype
around the kid in England, most of it isn't really justified
On that I agree (so far).

Post by Mehdi
Bayern need to take a look at their youth policy. How many of their
starters are from their youth team? Zero?
Müller for sure. Alaba has been at the club since 2008, and played in
their youth team.

But around the Bundesliga and the rest of Europe are quite a few players
who spent part of their development, and in some cases reached their
peak, at Bayern - like Kroos, Badstuber, F. Gotze,

They are certainly not bringing as many of their own players through the
ranks as they used to.

I don't understand why they
Post by Mehdi
have a rep for being a well run club.
Well that is kind of schizophrenic as they have also been known as FC
Hollywood at various times over the years.

Werner Pichler
2019-03-29 18:53:34 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Bayern need to take a look at their youth policy. How many of their
starters are from their youth team? Zero?
Müller for sure. Alaba has been at the club since 2008, and played in
their youth team.
But around the Bundesliga and the rest of Europe are quite a few players
who spent part of their development, and in some cases reached their
peak, at Bayern - like Kroos, Badstuber, F. Gotze,
They are certainly not bringing as many of their own players through the
ranks as they used to.
Also, it's a problem for them that they no longer have dibs on the best
Bundesliga players. They allegedly had agreed terms with De Bruyne but
Man City in the end offered way more money.

Mehdi
2019-03-30 02:20:26 UTC
Gross exaggeration.  The Bundesliga is the 3rd ranked league in UEFA,
and Bayern is the 3rd ranked team in the team 5 year rankings.  Those
players are a bit better than you give them credit for. After all, they
have multiple caps for some of the best national teams in Europe.
This Bayern team, with slow Sule and a post injury Neuer in defence and
a declining Lewandowski in attack.
Bruce Scott
2019-04-01 12:43:37 UTC
Post by Mehdi
Bayern need to take a look at their youth policy. How many of their
starters are from their youth team? Zero? I don't understand why they
have a rep for being a well run club. They're only well run in terms of
finances, in other ways their management is piss poor. All they do is
sign players other German teams develop and occasionally thrown money on
foreigners the big teams wouldn't touch.
Discuss the mid-2000s which produced the generation which with some
critical additions won it all in 2013. Having Dortmund ahead of us for a
couple years of course made a big difference. That's what is needed in the
rest of this decade and the next.
ciao, Bruce
Werner Pichler
2019-03-29 18:46:57 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Post by MH
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Drop 80M Euros on a leftback, Lucas Hernandez.
A wounded animal roars the loudest. Expect Real Madrid to roar even
louder. A summer of insanity ahead, no doubt.
I wonder what this means for Alaba ? Is he going to be for sale ?
I understand Hernandez can play CB too, so he's probably bought for
versatility as well. I'm not sure though if 6'0" is an adequate height
for a CB, unless you've got a big vertical jump (like CR7, for example).
Also, this would allow Alaba to play in midfield/wing, an area Bayern
need reinforcements in.
MF they have Thiago, James, Tolisso, Goretzka, Kimmich, Martinez,
Sanches....
Also, Alaba is shi... not really up to task in midfield. Wing might be more
of a possibility, but I have my doubts. There are rumours about a possible
Arsenal move, I would like that.

Bruce Scott
2019-03-28 15:58:37 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
Drop 80M Euros on a leftback, Lucas Hernandez.
Almost double the previous record...
--
ciao, Bruce