THE EPL 18/19 SOPHCON [R may be exposed throughout the season, implied or direct]
Add Reply
anders t
2018-07-22 16:42:06 UTC
ANNOUNCING: THE EPL 18/19 SOPHCON
DEADLINE AT KICK-OFF OF THE ABSOLUTELY FIRST MATCH

The drill is even more well-known by now.

Download the spreadsheet to fill in here:
http://www.allt2.se/b143990/sophcon/spc_epl1819_yournamehere.xlsx

No single prediction can be less than 0.001.

Welcome Bots and Humans alike are!

Send the entry (the filled-in spreadsheet with your moniker) here:
anthu_001[ *-*-*-*- ]hotmail.com
Replace [ *-*-*-*- ] with the at-symbol first. -

Before you send in check that all the OKs are there.

Good Luck!
--
Manchester United FC - CHAMPIONS
Latest: England '13 (20th) Europa '17, UEFA '08, World '08
The Doctor
Life is an adventure in forgiveness. -Norman Cousins
anders t
2018-08-05 17:00:43 UTC
Post by anders t
ANNOUNCING: THE EPL 18/19 SOPHCON
DEADLINE AT KICK-OFF OF THE ABSOLUTELY FIRST MATCH
The drill is even more well-known by now.
http://www.allt2.se/b143990/sophcon/spc_epl1819_yournamehere.xlsx
No single prediction can be less than 0.001.
Welcome Bots and Humans alike are!
anthu_001[ *-*-*-*- ]hotmail.com
Replace [ *-*-*-*- ] with the at-symbol first. -
Before you send in check that all the OKs are there.
Good Luck!
Don´t forget! (NO entries as of yet...)
anders t
2018-08-07 17:24:11 UTC
Post by anders t
Don´t forget! (NO entries as of yet...)
Aggie is in (of course -she never misses these).
MH is in.
(AT will be in).

Come on! Bots and Hums!
anders t
anders t
Futbolmetrix
Coming...(with a boatload of BOTs, hopefully). In fact, I hope you don't mind I advertise it on my twitter and get more probabilistically based forecasts
anders t
2018-08-09 18:14:38 UTC
Post by anders t
Post by anders t
Post by anders t
Post by anders t
Don´t forget! (NO entries as of yet...)
Aggie is in (of course -she never misses these).
MH is in.
(AT will be in).
Come on! Bots and Hums!
JP confirmed in!
And JL!
And Werner and Futbolmetrix (his own)!
Futbolmetrix
2018-08-09 11:06:31 UTC
Can you fix the spreadsheet so that Wolverhampton comes after West Ham ? It's going to throw BOTs off that things are not in alphabetical order. Thanks,
Werner Pichler
2018-08-09 11:11:08 UTC
Post by anders t
http://www.allt2.se/b143990/sophcon/spc_epl1819_yournamehere.xlsx
Can you fix the spreadsheet so that Wolverhampton comes after West Ham ? It's
going to throw BOTs off that things are not in alphabetical order. Thanks,
This is why machines will never take over the world.

Murat Bey
Wait until they spawn the self-conscious AI which starts spawning its own self-conscious models. Then we'll be in trouble.
Futbolmetrix
They have a much harder time coping with the fact that zeros can't exist!
Jesus Petry
2018-08-09 11:59:47 UTC
They are ahead of West Ham in alphabetical order because they are Wanderers!

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
anders t
2018-08-09 14:57:07 UTC
Post by anders t
http://www.allt2.se/b143990/sophcon/spc_epl1819_yournamehere.xlsx
Can you fix the spreadsheet so that Wolverhampton comes after West Ham ? It's going to throw BOTs off that things are not in alphabetical order. Thanks,
Just change on all you enter, and I'll fix the others afterwards.
Futbolmetrix
2018-08-09 19:38:04 UTC
Post by anders t
Post by Futbolmetrix
Post by anders t
http://www.allt2.se/b143990/sophcon/spc_epl1819_yournamehere.xlsx
Can you fix the spreadsheet so that Wolverhampton comes after West Ham ? It's going to throw BOTs off that things are not in alphabetical order. Thanks,
Just change on all you enter, and I'll fix the others afterwards.
I entered everything using your order, should be correct. Here are the ClubElo and TransferMarkt predictions, by the way:

https://twitter.com/Futbolmetrix1/status/1027639733885837312

(also sent by email)
anders t
anders t
2018-08-10 06:08:26 UTC
Post by anders t
Post by Futbolmetrix
Post by anders t
Post by Futbolmetrix
Post by anders t
http://www.allt2.se/b143990/sophcon/spc_epl1819_yournamehere.xlsx
Can you fix the spreadsheet so that Wolverhampton comes after West Ham ? It's going to throw BOTs off that things are not in alphabetical order. Thanks,
Just change on all you enter, and I'll fix the others afterwards.
https://twitter.com/Futbolmetrix1/status/1027639733885837312
(also sent by email)
Confirmed!
Three more bots via Futbolmetrix confirmed.
anders t
2018-08-10 06:09:33 UTC
Post by anders t
ANNOUNCING: THE EPL 18/19 SOPHCON
DEADLINE AT KICK-OFF OF THE ABSOLUTELY FIRST MATCH
The drill is even more well-known by now.
http://www.allt2.se/b143990/sophcon/spc_epl1819_yournamehere.xlsx
No single prediction can be less than 0.001.
Welcome Bots and Humans alike are!
anthu_001[ *-*-*-*- ]hotmail.com
Replace [ *-*-*-*- ] with the at-symbol first. -
Before you send in check that all the OKs are there.
Good Luck!
Remember the deadline at kickoff already today ___FRIDAY___!!!
anders t
2018-08-10 14:18:17 UTC
Post by anders t
Remember the deadline at kickoff already today ___FRIDAY___!!!
Deadline is coming!
anders t
2018-08-10 14:59:24 UTC
Valid entries so far (with about 4 hours to go):

HUMS:
WP
MH
JP
JL
FM
(AT)

AGGIES:
AG (AGGIE)

BOTS:
TM (TransferMarkt)
SA (SilverAurora)
RE (Remiqz)
IT (IntactTactic)
GP (GoalProjection)
CE (ClubElo)
BO (Bookies)
anders t
2018-08-10 15:01:09 UTC
Post by anders t
WP
MH
JP
JL
FM
(AT)
Also: MB needs to fix his entry - has been emailed about it.
Post by anders t
AG (AGGIE)
TM (TransferMarkt)
SA (SilverAurora)
RE (Remiqz)
TO BE UPDATED!
Post by anders t
IT (IntactTactic)
GP (GoalProjection)
CE (ClubElo)
BO (Bookies)
anders t
2018-08-10 15:52:04 UTC
Post by anders t
Post by anders t
WP
MH
JP
JL
FM
(AT)
Also: MB needs to fix his entry - has been emailed about it.
Post by anders t
AG (AGGIE)
TM (TransferMarkt)
SA (SilverAurora)
RE (Remiqz)
TO BE UPDATED!
Nope, it did not need to!
Post by anders t
Post by anders t
IT (IntactTactic)
GP (GoalProjection)
CE (ClubElo)
BO (Bookies)
anders t
2018-08-10 18:26:04 UTC
Quoting anders t in rec.sport.soccer:
Valid entries so far (with about 4 hours to go):

HUMS:
WP
MH
JP
JL
FM
(AT)
Also: MB needs to fix his entry - has been emailed about it.
---> MURAT! Time flies! Soon just 30 minutes to send in the fix!

AGGIES:
AG (AGGIE)

BOTS (all via FM):
TM (TransferMarkt)
SA (SilverAurora)
RE (Remiqz)
IT (IntactTactic)
GP (GoalProjection)
CE (ClubElo)
BO (Bookies)
EL (EloNT)

My entry:
.100 .249 .177 .350 .123 .001
.001 .001 .001 .100 .567 .330
.001 .001 .001 .100 .567 .330
.001 .001 .001 .100 .567 .330
.001 .001 .001 .100 .553 .344
.150 .369 .190 .190 .100 .001
.001 .001 .001 .014 .833 .150
.001 .050 .010 .100 .739 .100
.001 .001 .001 .014 .833 .150
.001 .001 .001 .100 .567 .330
.001 .050 .010 .100 .739 .100
.218 .670 .100 .010 .001 .001
.218 .670 .100 .010 .001 .001
.150 .463 .193 .192 .001 .001
.001 .001 .001 .015 .832 .150
.001 .001 .001 .015 .832 .150
.150 .369 .190 .190 .100 .001
.001 .001 .001 .100 .567 .330
.001 .050 .010 .100 .739 .100
.001 .050 .010 .100 .739 .100
Futbolmetrix
2018-08-10 18:41:43 UTC
there will be 2 more BOT entries, one by FiveThirtyEight, who just published its predictions: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

And one by @EightyFivePoints, who tweeted a screenshot of his predictions on July 31: https://twitter.com/EightyFivePoint/status/1024256991680753664?s=19

in both cases, I won't be able to fill in the spreadsheet with the right numbers before the deadline, but I promise not to cheat, and Anders has graciously agreed to accept the entries anyway.
anders t
Murat Bey
Sorry, missed this deadline I suppose (I'm on vacation and my response time could be delayed at times, sorry), just saw the email that says I can't have 0.0 entried in any cells.
anders t
2018-08-11 19:33:26 UTC
Post by Murat Bey
Post by anders t
WP
MH
JP
JL
FM
(AT)
Also: MB needs to fix his entry - has been emailed about it.
---> MURAT! Time flies! Soon just 30 minutes to send in the fix!
Sorry, missed this deadline I suppose (I'm on vacation and my response time could be delayed at times, sorry), just saw the email that says I can't have 0.0 entried in any cells.
In my defense, so to speak, it is also stated in text + red color marking
of "0.0 cells" in the excel file, and in the rss thread start for this
sophcon.

I will accept your late correction today or tomorrow, but you can only
change 0.0 cells to 0.001 cells and adjust the other cells with the very
small changes necessary to maintain the OKs for the rows and column totals.
anders t
2018-08-12 07:21:56 UTC
The entries!

HUMS:
WP
MH
JP
JL
FM
AT
(MB?)

AGGIES:
AG (AGGIE)

BOTS (all via FM):
TM (TransferMarkt)
SA (SilverAurora)
RE (Remiqz)
IT (IntactTactic)
GP (GoalProjection)
CE (ClubElo)
BO (Bookies)
EL (EloNT)
8Y (8Yards8Feet)
85 (Eightyfivepoints)
38 (FiveThirtyEight)
anders t
2018-08-12 20:51:21 UTC
Post by anders t
The entries!
WP
MH
JP
JL
FM
AT
MB
Post by anders t
AG (AGGIE)
TM (TransferMarkt)
SA (SilverAurora)
RE (Remiqz)
IT (IntactTactic)
GP (GoalProjection)
CE (ClubElo)
BO (Bookies)
EL (EloNT)
8Y (8Yards8Feet)
85 (Eightyfivepoints)
38 (FiveThirtyEight)
Futbolmetrix
2018-08-12 22:51:34 UTC
To be precise
Post by anders t
TM (TransferMarkt)
CE (ClubElo)
EL (EloNT)
BO (Bookies)
38 (FiveThirtyEight)
SA (SilverAurora)
RE (Remiqz)
IT (IntactTactic)
GP (GoalProjection)
8Y (8Yards8Feet)
85 (Eightyfivepoints)
anders t
2018-08-25 10:01:07 UTC
STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 2

b_38 -37,1725569687287
b_bo -41,1505639041173
b_gp -41,2556772875686
b_el -41,7060764333034
h_mb -42,9257640306720
b_8y -43,0342744963873
b_re -43,3295174615514
h_jp -44,0473874684421
b_85 -44,5767516754156
a_ag -45,0052055723518
b_sa -46,8246118047859
h_at -48,2838363934752
b_it -48,3170209943619
b_ce -48,5154457815314
h_mh -50,5147271775241
h_fm -53,4342094707212
h_wp -54,8555261670628
b_tm -57,6865252605908
h_jl -62,2091267459322

bots -39,8892939120472
hums -42,7286215323622
anders t
2018-09-02 19:12:25 UTC
Standings after ROUND 4

b_38 -39,1130864370246
h_mb -43,5942185986416
h_jp -44,7067711462703
a_ag -45,0052055723518
b_bo -45,0366681518653
b_el -45,1504144465869
b_gp -45,3080401451800
b_re -47,3139799696398
b_it -47,5894870841381
h_at -48,3528292649621
b_85 -52,1909355794033
b_8y -52,7147903004786
b_sa -57,2050465096593
b_ce -57,9917378487994
h_mh -58,1320125582808
h_fm -60,8269511135193
b_tm -61,8334243098165
h_wp -63,6675210774207
h_jl -69,0693522003221

bots -39,8892939120472
hums -42,7286215323622
anders t
2018-09-28 11:24:09 UTC
Post by anders t
Standings after ROUND 4
b_38 -39,1130864370246
h_mb -43,5942185986416
h_jp -44,7067711462703
a_ag -45,0052055723518
b_bo -45,0366681518653
b_el -45,1504144465869
b_gp -45,3080401451800
b_re -47,3139799696398
b_it -47,5894870841381
h_at -48,3528292649621
b_85 -52,1909355794033
b_8y -52,7147903004786
b_sa -57,2050465096593
b_ce -57,9917378487994
h_mh -58,1320125582808
h_fm -60,8269511135193
b_tm -61,8334243098165
h_wp -63,6675210774207
h_jl -69,0693522003221
bots -39,8892939120472
hums -42,7286215323622
Standings after ROUND 6
b_38 -37,5753511922186
b_bo -41,0782758925640
b_re -41,9413115261546
h_mb -42,1913949355705
b_it -42,6806494820642
h_jp -42,6949497922654
b_85 -43,3425453827247
b_gp -43,5516982299679
b_el -43,9764609602579
a_ag -45,0052055723518
b_ce -46,0485789571360
b_tm -46,9402504131986
h_at -47,1173577935768
h_fm -48,7158449689937
b_sa -49,2006248657544
h_mh -49,7601852171361
b_8y -50,0628505883261
h_wp -52,8753195607807
h_jl -58,7574123509145

bots -39,8011150467777
hums -41,7123323983158
Futbolmetrix
2018-10-01 10:29:26 UTC
Post by anders t
Standings after ROUND 6
b_38 -37,5753511922186
b_bo -41,0782758925640
b_re -41,9413115261546
Such a large gap between 538 and the other bots is unusual. I'll have to check that I didn't make any mistakes in the entry.
anders t
anders t
2018-11-02 19:30:28 UTC
Standings after ROUND 10

b_38 -37,2949169401963
b_bo -37,9368612514415
b_gp -39,5871453861313
b_el -39,9191275945260
b_re -40,6695872508862
h_at -41,7165613725118 <- Best Hum!
b_85 -41,8999847300402
h_jp -42,3509381790184
b_8y -42,6609040881730
h_mb -42,9257640306720
b_it -43,1051027365519
b_sa -43,1330937686101
a_ag -45,0052055723518
b_ce -46,2508143084928
h_mh -47,6905765963725
h_fm -48,7901813814395
h_wp -48,9308702896270
b_tm -51,6709752225563 <- Worst Bot
h_jl -57,9087708557938 (I´ll be considerate.)

bots -39,2163646640463
hums -41,0400253733552
Futbolmetrix
2018-11-02 20:32:42 UTC
Post by anders t
Standings after ROUND 10
b_38 -37,2949169401963
b_bo -37,9368612514415
b_gp -39,5871453861313
b_el -39,9191275945260
b_re -40,6695872508862
You'll have to remind us what all these abbreviations stand for...
Post by anders t
b_tm -51,6709752225563 <- Worst Bot
Funny how TransferMarkt is currently in first place in both the CL and
EL Sophcons, but is doing so poorly in the EPL one...
anders t
2018-11-03 08:17:14 UTC
Post by anders t
b_tm -51,6709752225563 <- Worst Bot
Funny how TransferMarkt is currently in first place in both the CL and
EL Sophcons, but is doing so poorly in the EPL one...
HUMS:
WP, MH, JP, JL, FM, AT, MB
AGGIES:
AG (AGGIE)
BOTS (all via FM):
TM (TransferMarkt)
SA (SilverAurora)
RE (Remiqz)
IT (IntactTactic)
GP (GoalProjection)
CE (ClubElo)
BO (Bookies)
EL (EloNT)
8Y (8Yards8Feet)
85 (Eightyfivepoints)
38 (FiveThirtyEight)

-----------------------
Your elaboration:
BOTS (all via FM):
To be precise
Prediction methods that I developed:
TM (TransferMarkt)
CE (ClubElo)
EL (EloNT)
Where I collected the data and made adjustments to make them fit into the
SophCon:
BO (Bookies)
38 (FiveThirtyEight)
Other people's predictions:
SA (SilverAurora)
RE (Remiqz)
IT (IntactTactic)
GP (GoalProjection)
8Y (8Yards8Feet)
85 (Eightyfivepoints)
-----------------------
Jesper Lauridsen
2018-11-03 18:21:54 UTC
Post by anders t
Standings after ROUND 10
Fake news!

But seriously, check the formula in the Y column (8-17 ranking).
anders t
2018-11-03 19:44:34 UTC
Post by Jesper Lauridsen
Post by anders t
Standings after ROUND 10
Fake news!
But seriously, check the formula in the Y column (8-17 ranking).
Woah!

How come noone saw this before, including me? Nice catch.

Correction and update follows...!
anders t
2018-11-03 19:49:50 UTC
Forget all earlier standings. There was a blatant error in the 8-17 column.
Thanks to Jesper the bug is now squeezed.

Here is the correct standing (I hope) after 10 rounds:

b_gp -19,3139112850577
b_bo -19,9330564782061
b_sa -21,2827124293649
b_38 -21,3769319182078
b_85 -21,6855624545036
b_8y -22,0087938204699
b_re -22,2707493707593
b_el -22,8680459168510
b_it -23,3228766545862
b_ce -23,8249298327778
h_jp -24,3381523447015 <- The best Hum!
h_fm -24,7001617224181
h_wp -25,1487568551715
h_mh -25,5027634723204
h_at -25,6912212014150 <- Not the best Hum.
h_mb -26,8074026711745
a_ag -28,9108264480108
b_tm -29,5929850641343 <- Still the worst Bot.
h_jl -31,9998784387790 <- What can I say?

bots -20,8168853546166
hums -22,1278740504990