Gremio v River Plate (R)
Add Reply
Mark
2018-10-31 09:23:11 UTC
Gremio 1 River Plate 2.

My 14th favourite football club beat the Champions of South America away. The decisive goal came from a very late penalty. 2-2 on aggregate and River win it on the away goals rule.

The big news of course is that it sets up a potential Copa Libertadores Final between River Plate and Boca Juniors!
Jesus Petry
2018-10-31 12:53:54 UTC
Post by Mark
Gremio 1 River Plate 2.
My 14th favourite football club beat the Champions of South America away. The decisive goal came from a very late penalty. 2-2 on aggregate and River win it on the away goals rule.
The big news of course is that it sets up a potential Copa Libertadores Final between River Plate and Boca Juniors!
It was brilliant!

Argentinian sports newspaper Olé once again had a brilliant headline.
River are nicknamed "gallinas" (hens) by their rivals for frequently disappointing in decisive moments.
Well, their web headline after the match was "Huevos de oro" (golden eggs), with a not so subtle double entendre.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Jesus Petry
2018-10-31 16:23:46 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Post by Mark
Gremio 1 River Plate 2.
My 14th favourite football club beat the Champions of South America away. The decisive goal came from a very late penalty. 2-2 on aggregate and River win it on the away goals rule.
The big news of course is that it sets up a potential Copa Libertadores Final between River Plate and Boca Juniors!
It was brilliant!
Argentinian sports newspaper Olé once again had a brilliant headline.
River are nicknamed "gallinas" (hens) by their rivals for frequently disappointing in decisive moments.
Well, their web headline after the match was "Huevos de oro" (golden eggs), with a not so subtle double entendre.
Also, gremistas thought: losing a semifinal at home after winning the away leg? Only when pigs fly!

Well, there was a Roger Waters concert in Porto Alegre last night...

https://tinyurl.com/yax2fe5d

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Binder Dundat
Jesus Petry
Binder Dundat
2018-11-01 01:11:40 UTC
OK, it looks like the mother of all finals will now happen, Palmeiras need to score four now to stop it. Wait! since when did they do away goals?

I dont think there has ever been a River v Boca final?

Anyhow, this will be the biggest copa final since 1991
Jesus Petry
Jesus Petry
2018-11-01 01:20:01 UTC
There was never an all-Argentinian final before. Now it's coming.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Binder Dundat
2018-11-01 01:51:26 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
There was never an all-Argentinian final before. Now it's coming.
Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Really? I would have thought there were a few, especially back in the Indipendiente days.

VARobots and non robot referees are not the most popular things/people in Sao Paulo tonight.
It all started off so well, with fireworks and fans and frenzy and a goal for Palmeiras, but the VARobots took that goal away and it has been downhill since then. I really can not see a comeback, but it has happened before, somehwere.
Binder Dundat
Binder Dundat
Lleo
2018-11-01 03:27:59 UTC
Post by Binder Dundat
Post by Jesus Petry
There was never an all-Argentinian final before. Now it's coming.
Really? I would have thought there were a few, especially back in the Indipendiente days.
Back in those days (and until relatively recently) teams from the same
country would necessarily face off before the final. This changed in the
early 2000's, when the tournament was expanded, but the "principle" was
adopted again after two consecutive all-Brasilian finals (2005 and 2006).
Don't remember when it changed again, but it was recent and welcome imho.
Post by Binder Dundat
VARobots and non robot referees are not the most popular things/people in
Sao Paulo tonight.
It all started off so well, with fireworks and fans and frenzy and a goal
for Palmeiras, but the VARobots took that goal away and it has been downhill
since then. I really can not see a comeback, but it has happened before,
somehwere.
Palmeiras was brave, but Boca's second goal (Benedetto's third in the semis)
settled the matter. Congrats to the Argentinians. We're on to a huge final.

Lléo
Mark
2018-11-02 09:35:54 UTC
Post by Lleo
Post by Binder Dundat
Post by Jesus Petry
There was never an all-Argentinian final before. Now it's coming.
Really? I would have thought there were a few, especially back in the
Indipendiente days.
Back in those days (and until relatively recently) teams from the same
country would necessarily face off before the final. This changed in the
early 2000's, when the tournament was expanded, but the "principle" was
adopted again after two consecutive all-Brasilian finals (2005 and 2006).
Don't remember when it changed again, but it was recent and welcome imho.
Yeah, when and why did they change it? I didn't even know they had changed it until this year's semi-finals.
River Plate v Boca Juniors in the Copa Libertadores Final! Is this the biggest football match in the world, ever?
s***@gmail.com
2018-11-02 19:43:38 UTC
Post by Lleo
Palmeiras was brave, but Boca's second goal (Benedetto's third in the semis)
settled the matter. Congrats to the Argentinians. We're on to a huge final.
Wait... Did I understand that right?

River - Boca in the final?

Holy fucking shit.

The only equivalent I can think of is Real - Atletico, if Atletico was as successful as Barca.

When is it?
a***@hotmail.com
It's 2 legs, Nov 10th and 24th. Both stadiums will be boiling cauldrons. Must see TV.
Bruce Scott
2018-11-05 01:56:55 UTC
Post by a***@hotmail.com
It's 2 legs, Nov 10th and 24th. Both stadiums will be boiling cauldrons. Must see TV.
What are the kickoff times? I might be able to see the match on the 10th.
ciao, Bruce
Mark
2018-11-06 09:48:51 UTC
Post by Bruce Scott
Post by a***@hotmail.com
It's 2 legs, Nov 10th and 24th. Both stadiums will be boiling cauldrons. Must see TV.
What are the kickoff times? I might be able to see the match on the 10th.
--
ciao, Bruce
They're both 19:00 UTC.

Apparently away fans are banned from both legs. How can they justify preventing anyone from being there for the most important match ever? That seems unfair to say the least.
Bruce Scott
2018-11-01 13:27:52 UTC
On 2018-10-31, Jesus Petry <***@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
Post by Jesus Petry
Also, gremistas thought: losing a semifinal at home after winning
the away leg? Only when pigs fly!
Well, there was a Roger Waters concert in Porto Alegre last night...
https://tinyurl.com/yax2fe5d
Brilliant!

I'm sure you loved the Gremio tears and jeers :-)
--
ciao, Bruce