Mini Use-the-Scalp 2019: Semifinal Round
2019-04-28 02:22:00 UTC
First, the initial rosters available to the remaining teams. Players in parentheses are those scalped from QF opponents.

Team RONALDO (milivella)
FW: Rodrigo, (Suarez, Jovic)
MF: Ziyech, Kostic, (Mane, Hazard)
DF: Pique, David Luiz, (Vertonghen)

Team MESSI (MH)
FW: Messi, Neres, (Son)
MF: Ramsey, *van de Beek*
DF: Danny Da Costa, *Marcos Alonso*

Team SALAH (albertovella)
FW: Salah, Alli, Giroud, (Tadic, Aubameyang)
MF: (Cheryshev)
DF: *Koscielny*

Team RASHFORD (Jesus)
FW: Firmino
MF: Rakitic, (Erikssen)
DF: De Ligt, Sokratis, (Van Dijk, Garay)

A couple of notes:
- teams that were left shorthanded have been reinforced, so that each team starts has no less than 7 players on its roster.

- Team Ronaldo must shed three players.

- All teams are allowed unlimited roster moves, subject to the following conditions: a) the final roster must include no more than three forwards, and no less than two defenders; and b) only moves in which you replace a player on your roster with another player playing for the same club are allowed. So, for example, team Salah could replace Giroud with Willian and Tadic with Tagliafico

- Final rosters must be announced before 11:59pm EDT on Monday, April 29.

- Lineups with captains, DDs and MMs must submitted before kickoff of the first match (Tottenham-Ajax on Tuesday)

And now....drumroll... the semifnal pairings, courtesy of random.org.

Random.org says:

Here is your sequence:

4
1
3
2

Timestamp: 2019-04-28 02:19:39 UTC

So the pairings are:

Team RASHFORD (Jesus) - Team RONALDO (milivella)

Team SALAH (albertovella) - Team Messi (MH)
milivella
2019-04-28 23:48:33 UTC
First, the initial rosters available to the remaining teams. Players in parentheses are those scalped from QF opponents.
Team RONALDO (milivella)
FW: Rodrigo, (Suarez, Jovic)
MF: Ziyech, Kostic, (Mane, Hazard)
DF: Pique, David Luiz, (Vertonghen)
- Team Ronaldo must shed three players.
What? As soon as I take the scalp of my opponent, I have to leave
it?!?!?! What kind of non-sense is this?

Anyway, let's abide to this joke of rule. Remove Rodrigo, Pique,
aaand... quarter-final hero Kostic (or will-he-play Hazard? no, Kostic.
but am I sure? like really really sure? argh).

So Team LUIZIYECH is now:
FW: Suarez, Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen
Post by Futbolmetrix
Team RASHFORD (Jesus) - Team RONALDO (milivella)
I'm screwed.

--
Cheers
milivella
Futbolmetrix
2019-04-29 19:00:30 UTC
The official name is still Team RONALDO. There is a tax to be paid if you want to make an official name change.
Post by milivella
FW: Suarez, Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen
Thanks. Other participants: don't forget to make changes to your roster (if you so wish) before midnight tonight. Changes must be announced publicly.
milivella
2019-04-30 21:14:36 UTC
The official name is still Team RONALDO. There is a tax to be paid if you want to make an official name change.
So my team is named after a player that is not even featured in it. It
totally makes sense, in the context of this irrational ruleset.

--
Cheers
milivella
a***@gmail.com
2019-04-29 19:08:59 UTC
First, the initial rosters available to the remaining teams. Players in parentheses are those scalped from QF opponents.
Team SALAH (albertovella)
FW: Salah, Alli, Giroud, (Tadic, Aubameyang)
MF: (Cheryshev)
DF: *Koscielny*
New Team Salah

FW: Salah, Giroud, Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes (I replace Cheryshev because he's injuried)
DF: Koscielny
Futbolmetrix
You are allowed to field 7 players. Since you dropped Alli and Tadic, you can replace them with a defender and a midfielder from Ajax and Tottenham (one per team).
a***@gmail.com
2019-04-29 21:19:28 UTC
Ok thanks.

So My new team salah is

FW: Salah, Giroud, Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, mkitharian
DF: Koscielny, Blind
a***@gmail.com
2019-04-29 21:23:42 UTC
Ok thanks.

So My new team salah is

FW: Salah, Giroud, Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, schoene
DF: Koscielny, alderweireld
Futbolmetrix
2019-04-29 21:34:36 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Ok thanks.
So My new team salah is
FW: Salah, Giroud, Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, schoene
DF: Koscielny, alderweireld
Thanks. Good lineup.
Jesus Petry
2019-04-29 19:31:45 UTC
Team RASHFORD (Jesus)
FW: Firmino
MF: Rakitic, (Erikssen)
DF: De Ligt, Sokratis, (Van Dijk, Garay)
Out: Garay, Sokratis, Rakitic
In: Parejo, Lacazette, Dembélé

New Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette, Dembélé
MF: Erikssen, Parejo
DF: De Ligt, Van Dijk

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
MH
2019-04-29 20:55:13 UTC
First, the initial rosters available to the remaining teams. Players in parentheses are those scalped from QF opponents.
Team RONALDO (milivella)
FW: Rodrigo, (Suarez, Jovic)
MF: Ziyech, Kostic, (Mane, Hazard)
DF: Pique, David Luiz, (Vertonghen)
Team MESSI (MH)
FW: Messi, Neres, (Son)
MF: Ramsey, *van de Beek*
DF: Danny Da Costa, *Marcos Alonso*
I would like to swap van den Beek for Frenkie DeJong, if this is
allowable. Also Ramsey for Özil.
Futbolmetrix
2019-04-29 21:40:04 UTC
Team MESSI (MH)
FW: Messi, Neres, (Son)
MF: Ramsey, *van de Beek*
DF: Danny Da Costa, *Marcos Alonso*
I would like to swap van den Beek for Frenkie DeJong, if this is
allowable.
It's certainly allowable, not sure if it's wise. Van de Beek is a much more serious goalscoring threat than DeJong. Unless there is something I don't know about injuries or suspensions... But hey, what do I know? It's not as if the B&W Propagandists are doing that much better than the MHDilettanti...
Post by MH
Also Ramsey for Özil.
OK.
MH
2019-04-29 22:49:19 UTC
Team MESSI (MH)
FW: Messi, Neres, (Son)
MF: Ramsey, *van de Beek*
DF: Danny Da Costa, *Marcos Alonso*
I would like to swap van den Beek for Frenkie DeJong, if this is
allowable.
It's certainly allowable, not sure if it's wise. Van de Beek is a much more serious goalscoring threat than DeJong. Unless there is something I don't know about injuries or suspensions...
OK, you convinced me. Leave van de Beek in.

But hey, what do I know? It's not as if the B&W Propagandists are
doing that much better than the MHDilettanti...

24 points. Not insignificant. But then AlsoRans plus Dilettanti >
Propagandists plus Serie A rejects.

Huge match coming up this weekend in the Head to Head league.
Also Ramsey for Özil.
OK.
Werner Pichler

2019-04-29 21:46:38 UTC
Team RASHFORD (Jesus) - Team RONALDO (milivella)
Team SALAH (albertovella) - Team Messi (MH)
Barring last-minute changes, the rosters are:

Team RASHFORD (Jesus) - Team RONALDO (milivella)

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette, Dembélé
MF: Erikssen, Parejo
DF: De Ligt, Van Dijk

Team RONALDO:
FW: Suarez, Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen

Semifinal 2
Team SALAH (albertovella) - Team Messi (MH)

Team SALAH:
FW: Salah, Giroud, Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny, Alderweireld

Team MESSI
FW: Messi, Neres, Son
MF: Özil, F. DeJong
DF: Danny Da Costa, Marcos Alonso
Futbolmetrix
2019-04-30 00:38:36 UTC
Team RASHFORD (Jesus) - Team RONALDO (milivella)
FW: Firmino, Lacazette, Dembélé
MF: Erikssen, Parejo
DF: De Ligt, Van Dijk
FW: Suarez, Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen
Semifinal 2
Team SALAH (albertovella) - Team Messi (MH)
FW: Salah, Giroud, Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny, Alderweireld
Team MESSI
FW: Messi, Neres, Son
MF: Özil, F. DeJong
DF: Danny Da Costa, Marcos Alonso
Updated Team MESSI

FW: Messi, Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek
DF: Danny Da Costa, Marcos Alonso

Don't forget to send your Captain, MM and DD picks before tomorrow's kickoff.
Futbolmetrix
2019-04-30 21:01:43 UTC
On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 8:38:38 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Lineups and scores after the Tuesday match:

Semifinal 1

Team RASHFORD (Jesus) 0-0 Team RONALDO (milivella)

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (C), Dembélé
MF: Erikssen (MM), Parejo
DF: De Ligt (DD+), Van Dijk

Team RONALDO:
FW: Suarez (C, MM*), Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen (DD-)

No goals here, but Captain Suarez has been neutralized and marked out of the game.

Semifinal 2
Team SALAH (albertovella) 0-1 Team Messi (MH)

Team SALAH:
FW: Salah (MM), Giroud (C), Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny (DD), Alderweireld

Team MESSI
FW: Messi (C, MM), Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek 1
DF: Danny Da Costa, Marcos Alonso (DD)

A lone goal by almost left-out Van de Beek, and Team Messi takes the early lead.
milivella
2019-04-30 21:10:24 UTC
Semifinal 1
Team RASHFORD (Jesus) 0-0 Team RONALDO (milivella)
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (C), Dembélé
MF: Erikssen (MM), Parejo
DF: De Ligt (DD+), Van Dijk
FW: Suarez (C, MM*), Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen (DD-)
No goals here, but Captain Suarez has been neutralized and marked out of the game.
Semifinal 2
Team SALAH (albertovella) 0-1 Team Messi (MH)
FW: Salah (MM), Giroud (C), Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny (DD), Alderweireld
Team MESSI
FW: Messi (C, MM), Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek 1
DF: Danny Da Costa, Marcos Alonso (DD)
A lone goal by almost left-out Van de Beek, and Team Messi takes the early lead.
Can we have a third place playoff? The Vella Cup is a longstanding
tradition, after all.

(also, getting at least one fair match out of this game would be nice...)

--
Cheers
milivella
milivella

milivella
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-01 21:40:13 UTC
On Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 5:01:45 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Having Messi on your team kind of helps...Lineups and scores after BAR-LIV:

Semifinal 1
Team RASHFORD (Jesus) 0-0 Team RONALDO (milivella)

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (C), Dembélé
MF: Erikssen (MM), Parejo
DF: De Ligt (DD+), Van Dijk

Team RONALDO:
FW: Suarez 0 (C, MM* (1x2)), Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen (DD-)

Team RASHFORD needs to do something on the offensive end if it doesn't want to squander De Ligt's impressive defending.

Semifinal 2
Team SALAH (albertovella) 0-5 Team Messi (MH)

Team SALAH:
FW: Salah (MM), Giroud (C), Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny (DD), Alderweireld

Team MESSI
FW: Messi 2(x2) (C, MM), Neres, Son

Team Salah is in the hands of Koscielny (unless Giroud and Aubameyang...)
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-02 19:10:42 UTC
Semifinal 1
Team RASHFORD (Jesus) 0-0 Team RONALDO (milivella)
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (C), Dembélé
MF: Erikssen (MM), Parejo
DF: De Ligt (DD+), Van Dijk
FW: Suarez 0 (C, MM* (1x2)), Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen (DD-)
Hazard on the bench, all the others fit and eligible.
Marcos Alonso on the bench, even though it doesn't matter that much as marked man Salah was ineffective anyway
Futbolmetrix
More importantly, Diakhaby scores for Valencia, spoils Koscielny's clean sheet bid, and just like that the asterisk on Messi's 4 goals vanishes.
MH
2019-05-02 19:35:23 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
Team RASHFORD needs to do something on the offensive end if it doesn't want to squander De Ligt's impressive defending.
Semifinal 2
Team SALAH (albertovella) 0-5 Team Messi (MH)
FW: Salah (MM), Giroud (C), Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny (DD), Alderweireld
Team MESSI
FW: Messi 2(x2) (C, MM), Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek 1
DF: Danny Da Costa, Marcos Alonso (DD)
Marcos Alonso on the bench, even though it doesn't matter that much as marked man Salah was ineffective anyway.
More importantly, Diakhaby scores for Valencia, spoils Koscielny's clean sheet bid,
Nice when one of your FS picks does the job for you like that.

and just like that the asterisk on Messi's 4 goals vanishes.
milivella
2019-05-02 21:07:42 UTC
More importantly, Diakhaby scores for Valencia, spoils Koscielny's clean sheet bid,
Nice when one of your FS picks does the job for you like that.
You are seeing the way of the FS Sausage!

--
Cheers
milivella
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-02 19:26:49 UTC
Jovic with a crucial away goal for Team RONALDO.
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-02 19:33:11 UTC
Semifinal 1
Team RASHFORD (Jesus) 0-0 Team RONALDO (milivella)
Jovic with a crucial away goal for Team RONALDO.
That's more like it, Team RASHFORD! Captain Lacazette turn things around!
Post by Futbolmetrix
Team RASHFORD (Jesus) 2-1 Team RONALDO (milivella)
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (C) 1(x2), Dembélé
MF: Erikssen (MM), Parejo
DF: De Ligt (DD+), Van Dijk
FW: Suarez 0 (C, MM* (1x2)), Jovic 1
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen (DD-)
Futbolmetrix
4-1 now for the forces of Good!
Futbolmetrix
A sliver of hope for Team SALAH, with a last minute goal by Aubameyang?
milivella
2019-05-02 21:06:34 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
Team RASHFORD (Jesus) 2-1 Team RONALDO (milivella)
4-1 now for the forces of Good!
A sliver of hope for Team SALAH, with a last minute goal by Aubameyang?
Are you kidding? The last two days have been the worst for the Vella
family since our ancestor was kicked out of Malta in 1798.

--
Cheers
milivella
MH
2019-05-02 19:37:15 UTC
Post by Futbolmetrix
Team RASHFORD needs to do something on the offensive end if it doesn't want to squander De Ligt's impressive defending.
And they have with Lacazette scoring twice.
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-02 21:24:26 UTC
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 5:40:15 PM UTC-4, Futbolmetrix wrote:

Final Leg 1 results:

Semifinal 1

Team RASHFORD (Jesus) 4-1 Team RONALDO (milivella)

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (C) 2 (x2), Dembélé
MF: Erikssen (MM), Parejo
DF: De Ligt (DD+), Van Dijk

Team RONALDO:
FW: Suarez 0 (C, MM* (1x2)), Jovic 1
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen (DD-)

That away goal could end up mattering for Team RONALDO.

Semifinal 2
Team SALAH (albertovella) 1-5 Team Messi (MH)

Team SALAH:
FW: Salah (MM), Giroud (C), Aubemayang 1

Daunting task for Team SALAH, but well chosen and unmarked captains can turn things around in a heartbeat.
milivella
2019-05-02 23:45:09 UTC
That away goal could end up mattering for Team RONALDO.
Nice weaufx. Not.

--
Cheers
milivella
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-06 11:17:53 UTC
Return legs:

As usual, you are allowed one "like-for-like" substitution (same role, same club) ahead of the return leg. If you plan to do so, you must announce it publicly in this thread by today at midnight.

Current lineups

Semifinal 1 – return Leg

Team RONALDO (milivella) - Team RASHFORD (Jesus) (first leg: 1-4)

Team RONALDO:
FW: Suarez, Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette, Dembélé
MF: Erikssen, Parejo
DF: De Ligt, Van Dijk

Semifinal 2
Team Messi (MH) - Team SALAH (albertovella) (first leg: 5-1)

Team MESSI
FW: Messi, Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek

DF: Koscielny, Alderweireld
Jesus Petry
2019-05-06 14:43:15 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
FW: Firmino, Lacazette, Dembélé
MF: Erikssen, Parejo
DF: De Ligt, Van Dijk
Rakitić in for the injured Dembélé. Not enough substitutions allowed to replace also Firmino. :-(

FW: Firmino, Lacazette
MF: Erikssen, Parejo, Rakitić
DF: De Ligt, Van Dijk

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
a***@gmail.com
2019-05-06 14:55:16 UTC
Out Salah, In Sturridge
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-07 11:22:39 UTC
Lineups as announced, with Sturridge and Rakitic subs. Send me your captains, DDs and MMs before kickoff.
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-07 14:33:53 UTC
Lineups as announced, with Sturridge and Rakitic subs. Send me your captains, DDs and MMs before kickoff.
Just to confirm, these are the lineups:

Team RONALDO (milivella) - Team RASHFORD (Jesus) (first leg: 1-4)

Team RONALDO:
FW: Suarez, Jovic
MF: Ziyech, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette
MF: Erikssen, Parejo, Rakitic
DF: De Ligt, Van Dijk

Semifinal 2
Team Messi (MH) - Team SALAH (albertovella) (first leg: 5-1)

Team MESSI
FW: Messi, Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek
DF: Danny Da Costa, Marcos Alonso

Team SALAH:
FW: Sturridge, Giroud, Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny, Alderweireld
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-07 19:11:10 UTC
And these are the lineups with captains, DDs and MMs:
(it looks as if Origi rather than Sturridge should hahve been picked as the replacement for Salah)

Team RONALDO (milivella) - Team RASHFORD (Jesus) (first leg: 1-4)

Team RONALDO:
FW: Suarez (MM), Jovic
MF: Ziyech (C), Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD), Vertonghen

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (MM)
MF: Erikssen (C), Parejo, Rakitic
DF: De Ligt (DD), Van Dijk

Semifinal 2
Team Messi (MH) - Team SALAH (albertovella) (first leg: 5-1)

Team MESSI
FW: Messi (C, MM), Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD), Marcos Alonso

Team SALAH:
FW: Sturridge, Giroud (C, MM), Aubemayang
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny, Alderweireld (DD)
Jesus Petry
2019-05-07 19:33:24 UTC
(it looks as if Origi rather than Sturridge should hahve been picked as the replacement for Salah)
Well, I did consider picking him as a substitute for Firmino...
But I had to pick one sub.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Jesper Lauridsen
2019-05-07 20:38:41 UTC
(it looks as if Origi rather than Sturridge should hahve been picked as the replacement for Salah)
Wijnaldum would have been nice as well.
Jesper Lauridsen
2019-05-07 20:43:10 UTC
But ok, let's stick with Origo.
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-08 19:21:31 UTC
Team RONALDO (milivella) - Team RASHFORD (Jesus) (first leg: 1-4)
First goal of the matchday by De Ligt, and Team Rashford extends its lead
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-08 19:44:19 UTC
Things getting interesting as Captain Ziyech cuts down Team Rashford's lead by two with one fell swoop.
Jesus Petry
2019-05-08 19:44:20 UTC
Update, showing only players who can still do something:

Team RONALDO (milivella) 2-1 Team RASHFORD (Jesus) [first leg: 1-4; agg.: 3-5]

Team RONALDO:
FW: Jovic
MF: Ziyech 1x2 (C), Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD), Vertonghen

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Lacazette (MM)
MF: Erikssen (C), Parejo
DF: De Ligt 1 (DD)

Team MESSI (MH) 0-0 Team SALAH (albertovella) [first leg: 5-1; agg.: 5-1]

Team MESSI:
FW: Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD), Marcos Alonso

Team SALAH:
FW: Giroud (C, MM), Aubemayang

Jesus Petry
Jesus Petry
2019-05-08 21:07:02 UTC
Update with players who play tomorrow only:

Team RONALDO (milivella) 2-1 Team RASHFORD (Jesus) [first leg: 1-4; agg.: 3-5]
Ziyech 1x2 - De Ligt 1

Team RONALDO:
FW: Jović
MF: Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD)

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Lacazette (MM)
MF: Parejo

Team MESSI (MH) 0-0 Team SALAH (albertovella) [first leg: 5-1; agg.: 5-1]

Team MESSI:
MF: Özil
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD), Marcos Alonso

Team SALAH:
FW: Giroud (C, MM), Aubameyang
MF: Gonçalo Guedes
DF: Koscielny

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Futbolmetrix
A goal for Aubameyang and a missed defensive assignment by Danny Da Costa. Can Team SALAH make a comeback?
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 19:50:30 UTC
A goal for Aubameyang and a missed defensive assignment by Danny Da Costa. Can Team SALAH make a comeback?
Danny da Costa's mission was inconsequential, because if Giroud scored he couldn't achieve it, and if Giroud doesn't score, then he has nothing to do as DD.

Team RONALDO (milivella) 2-1 Team RASHFORD (Jesus) [first leg: 1-4; agg.: 3-5]
Ziyech 1x2 - De Ligt 1

Team RONALDO:
FW: Jović
MF: Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD)

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Lacazette (MM)
MF: Parejo

Team MESSI (MH) 0-1 Team SALAH (albertovella) [first leg: 5-1; agg.: 5-2]

Team MESSI:
MF: Özil
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD-), Marcos Alonso

Team SALAH:
FW: Giroud (C, MM), Aubameyang 1
MF: Gonçalo Guedes
DF: Koscielny

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-09 20:29:17 UTC
Yes. Sloppy management by MH
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-09 20:18:06 UTC
On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 5:07:04 PM UTC-4, Jesus Petry wrote:
Jovic pulls Team Ronaldo even closer (but neutralizes David Luiz's marking of Lacazette). Lacazette's away goal means that Team Ronaldo now need three goals:

Team RONALDO (milivella) 3-2 Team RASHFORD (Jesus) (first leg: 1-4, aggr: 4-6)

Team RONALDO:
FW: Suarez (MM), Jovic 1
MF: Ziyech (C) 1(x2), Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD-), Vertonghen

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (MM) 1
MF: Erikssen (C), Parejo, Rakitic
DF: De Ligt 1 (DD-), Van Dijk

Team Messi (MH) 0-1 Team SALAH (albertovella) (first leg: 5-1, aggr: 5-2)

Team MESSI
FW: Messi (C, MM), Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD), Marcos Alonso

Team SALAH:
FW: Sturridge, Giroud (C, MM), Aubemayang 1
Futbolmetrix
Another goal by Aubameyang for Team SALAH. Now a goal by Giroud would make things really interesting!
Futbolmetrix
Hattrick for Aubameyang, Team SALAH pulls back to 4-5! Now a goal by Giroud would turn the tie around! (and he could very well have 30 extra minutes to do it)
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 20:51:19 UTC
[...]
Due to AGR, any goal by Team SALAH will do.

Tchau!
Jesus "and in this case it's even more arbitrary!" Petry
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-09 20:57:42 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Due to AGR, any goal by Team SALAH will do.
No, Team MESSI has the away goal advantage.

30 extra minutes.

Semifinal 1: Jovic, Hazard and David Luiz versus nobody. It's a tall order for Team RONALDO, but it's not over yet.

Semifinal 2: Giroud (C) versus Danny da Costa (and Marcos Alonso if he comes in as a fourth sub?)
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 21:01:34 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Due to AGR, any goal by Team SALAH will do.
No, Team MESSI has the away goal advantage.
Indeed! See how arbitrary it is? :-P
Post by Futbolmetrix
30 extra minutes.
Semifinal 1: Jovic, Hazard and David Luiz versus nobody. It's a tall order for Team RONALDO, but it's not over yet.
Semifinal 2: Giroud (C) versus Danny da Costa (and Marcos Alonso if he comes in as a fourth sub?)
Yeah, I forgot about the overtime fourth sub rule.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Futbolmetrix
Noooo! Giroud subbed out for Higuain, and that kills all the drama...
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 21:09:06 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Post by Futbolmetrix
30 extra minutes.
Semifinal 1: Jovic, Hazard and David Luiz versus nobody. It's a tall order for Team RONALDO, but it's not over yet.
Semifinal 2: Giroud (C) versus Danny da Costa (and Marcos Alonso if he comes in as a fourth sub?)
Yeah, I forgot about the overtime fourth sub rule.
Which is moot now that Chelsea use their last sub to bring in Higuaín for... Giroud!

Congrats to Team MESSI, the first finalists!

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 21:19:45 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Congrats to Team MESSI, the first finalists!
Looking forward:

Team RONFORD (RASHALDO?):
FW: Firmino, Lacazette, Jović?
MF: Erikssen, Mané, Hazard?
DF: Van Dijk, Vertonghen, David Luiz?

Team MESSI
FW: Son, Sturridge, Aubemayang, Giroud?
MF: Özil
DF: Koscielny, Alderweireld, Danny Da Costa?, Marcos Alonso?

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
MH
2019-05-09 21:24:00 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Post by Jesus Petry
Congrats to Team MESSI, the first finalists!
FW: Firmino, Lacazette, Jović?
MF: Erikssen, Mané, Hazard?
DF: Van Dijk, Vertonghen, David Luiz?
Team MESSI
FW: Son, Sturridge, Aubemayang, Giroud?
OK, but surely I can scalp Salah as well ? Seeing as he was the founder
member of team Salah.
Jesus Petry
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 21:26:05 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Post by Jesus Petry
Congrats to Team MESSI, the first finalists!
FW: Firmino, Lacazette, Jović?
MF: Erikssen, Mané, Hazard?
DF: Van Dijk, Vertonghen, David Luiz?
Team MESSI
FW: Son, Sturridge, Aubemayang, Giroud?
OK, but surely I can scalp Salah as well ? Seeing as he was the founder
member of team Salah.
I suppose you can swap Sturridge for him.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 21:37:31 UTC
Do shootout goals count?

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 21:49:40 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Do shootout goals count?
This question has become kinda important...

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-09 21:53:17 UTC
Post by Jesus Petry
Do shootout goals count?
Let's see... Jovic scores, DL scores, Hazard scores...it would mean qualification for Team RONALDO!!! I like dramatic turnarounds!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
... but who are we kidding? Besides the blatant unfairness of it, it would see milivella through. So, no way.

Congrats to Team RASHFORD and Team MESSI for qualifying to the final. Full report to follow
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-09 21:55:56 UTC
Too bad that it wasn't the other way round... that would have been a nice Unbiased Gamemaster move...
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-09 22:13:49 UTC
Congrats to Team RASHFORD and Team MESSI for qualifying to the final. Full report to follow
Semifinal return leg, final scores:

Semifinal 1
Team RONALDO (milivella) 3-2 Team RASHFORD (Jesus) (first leg: 1-4, aggr: 4-6)

Team RONALDO:
FW: Suarez (MM), Jovic 1
MF: Ziyech (C) 1(x2), Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD-), Vertonghen

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (MM) 1
MF: Erikssen (C), Parejo, Rakitic
DF: De Ligt 1 (DD-), Van Dijk

Semifinal 2
Team Messi (MH) 0-3 Team SALAH (albertovella) (first leg: 5-1, aggr: 5-4)

Team MESSI
FW: Messi (C, MM), Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD-), Marcos Alonso

Team SALAH:
FW: Sturridge, Giroud (C, MM), Aubemayang 3
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny, Alderweireld (DD-)

Congrats to Jesus and MH. Too bad we don't get to have the Vella Bowl in the final, but hey, sometimes good guys do finish first.

The available rosters for the final:

Final ROSTERS

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Firmino, Lacazette
MF: Erikssen, Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz, Vertonghen, Van Dijk

Team MESSI
FW: Son, Sturridge, Giroud, Aubameyang
MF: Özil
DF: Marcos Alonso, Koscielny, Alderweireld (DD-)

Lineup selection rules: you must end up with a lineup of seven players, no more than three forwards and no less than two defenders. You are allowed unlimited substitutions subject to two conditions: a) the subbed in player must play for the same club as the subbed out player; b) the subbed in player must play either in the same role as the subbed out player, or a more defensive one.

Also, the final will played in a single leg. When you submit the lineups, you will also have to answer (privately) the tie-breaking rule: "how many goals in total will be scored in the two finals." In case of a tie in the number of goals, player whose guess comes closest wins. In case of a further tie, the title will be assigned ex-aequo.
milivella
2019-05-09 23:17:01 UTC
Congrats to Team RASHFORD and Team MESSI for qualifying to the final. Full
report to follow
Semifinal 1
Team RONALDO (milivella) 3-2 Team RASHFORD (Jesus) (first leg: 1-4, aggr: 4-6)
FW: Suarez (MM), Jovic 1
MF: Ziyech (C) 1(x2), Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD-), Vertonghen
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (MM) 1
MF: Erikssen (C), Parejo, Rakitic
DF: De Ligt 1 (DD-), Van Dijk
Semifinal 2
Team Messi (MH) 0-3 Team SALAH (albertovella) (first leg: 5-1, aggr: 5-4)
Team MESSI
FW: Messi (C, MM), Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD-), Marcos Alonso
FW: Sturridge, Giroud (C, MM), Aubemayang 3
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny, Alderweireld (DD-)
You wanted us out, we went out. We wanted to put up a good fight, we
scared you.

Congratulations to Jesus and MH for reaching the final. I'll support
team Rashford for their team Ronaldo DNA.

--
Cheers
milivella
MH
2019-05-10 15:26:58 UTC
[...]
There should be another rule that prevents players who WERE part of a
roster at some point in the past from being picked by a team that did
previously hold the rights to that player, or have acquired those rights
by scalping, no ?

I mean if Jesus were to drop Lacazette for some reason, and I were to
drop Aubameyang, I should not be allowed to pounce on Lazazette.

Similarly, since it seems logical enough that I might be allowed to pick
Salah, Jesus would not be allowed to swap Firmino for Salah.
Jesus Petry
2019-05-10 15:36:23 UTC
[...]
I agree.
Also, I need a clarification: like in the previous round, I can swap players for others from the same team of more attacking position as long as I respect the maximum number of forwards and the minimum number of defenders, correct?

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Futbolmetrix
2019-05-10 17:10:31 UTC
There should be another rule that prevents players who WERE part of a
roster at some point in the past from being picked by a team that did
previously hold the rights to that player, or have acquired those rights
by scalping, no ?
I mean if Jesus were to drop Lacazette for some reason, and I were to
drop Aubameyang, I should not be allowed to pounce on Lazazette.
Yes, that makes sense. In fact, I think that the nature of UtS is such that any player who had been discarded at some point should not be eligible to be picked up again. I wanted to raise the issue when Jesus went back to Rakitic, but then said "what the hell" and moved on.

Bottom line: both of you are nice people who will noty try to exploit loopholes in the rules. Anything that is agreed upon by both of you is OK with me.
Jesus Petry
2019-05-10 17:28:12 UTC
There should be another rule that prevents players who WERE part of a
roster at some point in the past from being picked by a team that did
previously hold the rights to that player, or have acquired those rights
by scalping, no ?
I mean if Jesus were to drop Lacazette for some reason, and I were to
drop Aubameyang, I should not be allowed to pounce on Lazazette.
Yes, that makes sense. In fact, I think that the nature of UtS is such that any player who had been discarded at some point should not be eligible to be picked up again. I wanted to raise the issue when Jesus went back to Rakitic, but then said "what the hell" and moved on.
It would actually have been better for me if you had interfered, as I would instead have replaced Firmino with Origi.

Tchau!
Jesus Petry

Jesus Petry
2019-05-10 15:53:33 UTC
Provisional team RASHFORD (pending injuries, clarifications):

[Hazard dropped, Verthongen swapped by Llorente, Erikssen swapped by Lucas Moura]

FW: Firmino, Lacazette, Llorente
MF: Lucas Moura, Mané
DF: David Luiz, Van Dijk

Tchau!
Jesus Petry
Futbolmetrix
Team is OK for me
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 20:59:11 UTC
What's left:

Team RONALDO (milivella) 3-2 Team RASHFORD (Jesus) [first leg: 1-4; agg.: 4-6]
Ziyech 1x2 - De Ligt 1, Lacazette 1
Team RONALDO:
FW: Jović 1
MF: Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD-)

Team RASHFORD:
-

Team MESSI (MH) 0-3 Team SALAH (albertovella) [first leg: 5-1; agg.: 5-4]
Aubameyang 3

Team MESSI:
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD-)

Team SALAH:
FW: Giroud (C)

Tchau!
Jesus "can only hope there aren't too many goals" Petry
The Doctor
2019-05-09 21:05:13 UTC
Jovic pulls Team Ronaldo even closer (but neutralizes David Luiz's
marking of Lacazette). Lacazette's away goal means that Team Ronaldo now
1-4, aggr: 4-6)
FW: Suarez (MM), Jovic 1
MF: Ziyech (C) 1(x2), Mane, Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD-), Vertonghen
FW: Firmino, Lacazette (MM) 1
MF: Erikssen (C), Parejo, Rakitic
DF: De Ligt 1 (DD-), Van Dijk
Team Messi (MH) 0-1 Team SALAH (albertovella) (first leg: 5-1, aggr: 5-2)
Team MESSI
FW: Messi (C, MM), Neres, Son
MF: Özil, Van de Beek
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD), Marcos Alonso
FW: Sturridge, Giroud (C, MM), Aubemayang 1
MF: Goncalo Guedes, Schoene
DF: Koscielny, Alderweireld (DD-)
Another goal by Aubameyang for Team SALAH. Now a goal by Giroud would
make things really interesting!
Hattrick for Aubameyang, Team SALAH pulls back to 4-5! Now a goal by
Giroud would turn the tie around! (and he could very well have 30 extra
minutes to do it)
And yes Arsenal is headed to Baku!
Newfoundland on 16 May 2019, do not vote PC nor NDP!
Jesus Petry
2019-05-09 20:30:15 UTC
Aubameyang makes things interesting. Özil subbed out.

Team RONALDO (milivella) 3-2 Team RASHFORD (Jesus) [first leg: 1-4; agg.: 4-6]
Ziyech 1x2 - De Ligt 1

Team RONALDO:
FW: Jović 1
MF: Hazard
DF: David Luiz (DD-)

Team RASHFORD:
FW: Lacazette 1
MF: Parejo

Team MESSI (MH) 0-2 Team SALAH (albertovella) [first leg: 5-1; agg.: 5-3]

Team MESSI:
MF: Özil
DF: Danny Da Costa (DD-), Marcos Alonso

Team SALAH: