Who is your FAVOURITE player?
Victoria Barrett
2003-12-15 20:15:42 UTC
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)

So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?

And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Victoria Barrett
2003-12-15 20:19:30 UTC
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:15:42 -0500, Victoria Barrett
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Kaká.

I think this kid has everything that it takes to be (one day) the best
player in the world.

Like Sheringham and Van Basten but unlike Ronaldo (my "ex's"), he has
so far played for teams I love, São Paulo and Milan.
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player?
Teddy Sheringham. I even "stalked" him after training sessions for his
autograph on my shirt, which he kindly gave me with a wink and a
smile. :)
Post by Victoria Barrett
Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
No, for me, players even influenced my decision of favourite team.
Therefore my partiality to Milan because I worshipped Marco VB.
Patrick Kehoe
2003-12-16 06:58:55 UTC
One player? That's tough... Zidane, well, the ball at his feet, sensing the
coming tackles, the intricate evasions, is truly something to watch...

Who was it last year said Zidane was excellent but not as good as Platini...
that's just la vie en rose nostalgia to my mind...

Recoba, Gilberto Silva, Schols, Davids

Favourite All-Timers in semi-chronological order :))

Roberto Rivellino (gad, I am dating myself!)
1974 Holland Squad
Johan Neeskins (1981 NASL final he was unreal)
Glenn Hoddle (best pure passer ever)
1981 Spurs!!!
1982 Brazilian Squad
Bruno Conti/Junior (1982 World Cup mirror images)
Enzo Francescoli (whom I saw in 1985, absolutely magic!)
Emilio Butragueno
Garry Lineker
1988 European Champions Holland and their Holy Trinity (Gullit-Rijkaard-Van
Basten)
Jurgen Klinsmann
Roberto Baggio
Redondo (in the early 1990s... pure aesthetics)
Mauro Silva

Rai
--
Patrick Kehoe
Contributing Editor-SecondsOut.com
Balen Arenas
2003-12-15 20:23:21 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Well I can't say that I have a favorite player now although Reyes would
be pretty close. In the past it was Ivan de la Peña but his career has
fallen way down, a shame since IMO he is the most talented Spaniard in
the past 20 years.

My childhood favourite was 2 players really, Bruno Conti and Zico.
Victoria Barrett
2003-12-15 20:32:26 UTC
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:23:21 GMT, Balen Arenas
Post by Balen Arenas
Well I can't say that I have a favorite player now although Reyes would
be pretty close.
Interesting!

I also just chose him for my La Liga Fantasy team, taking out Ricardo
Oliveira.
Post by Balen Arenas
In the past it was Ivan de la Peña but his career has
fallen way down, a shame since IMO he is the most talented Spaniard in
the past 20 years.
So I was told.

Who do you think is the favourite player of the Spanish media? I've
been told it's no longer Raul as much.
I love these players. :)
Balen Arenas
2003-12-15 20:44:38 UTC
Post by Balen Arenas
Well I can't say that I have a favorite player now although Reyes would
be pretty close.
Interesting!
I also just chose him for my La Liga Fantasy team, taking out Ricardo
Oliveira.
Well Reyes will not score a lot of goals for you. He is the type of
player who creates a lot of dangerous situations and free kicks but he
isn't the best of shots. Sort of like a younger Henry.
Post by Victoria Barrett
Post by Balen Arenas
In the past it was Ivan de la Peña but his career has
fallen way down, a shame since IMO he is the most talented Spaniard in
the past 20 years.
So I was told.
Who do you think is the favourite player of the Spanish media? I've
been told it's no longer Raul as much.
It depends on which media, Madrid or Barcelona based? Raul is still high
up there in the Madrid media but Zidane and Ronaldo are up there as well.
Beckham is catching up though. Torres is probably the highest of the non
Real Madrid stars.

From the Barcelona press it has to be Ronaldinho.
I love these players. :)
©N¥ikuli, Williåm©
2003-12-16 00:27:57 UTC
I started watching football in 1989.

I liked Peter Beardsley.

Internationally, I liked Baggio. I'm just in awe of the guy.

But for me childhood is only 5 years ago.
--
Majiin - version²°°³

http://www.anti-antiwar.com
MMcC
2003-12-15 20:38:08 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Stevie Heighway..... he was class, a true old fashioned winger. I have fond
memories of him bombing down the left touchline for Liverpool and crosing
the ball in to Keegan and Toshack.
I liked him because he was good, real good, he was Irish, he played for
Liverpool and he had a degree in Ecomonics, which as a kid I thought was
really cool and made him kind of an "brainy" footballer.
Dwight Beers
2003-12-15 21:53:06 UTC
Post by MMcC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Stevie Heighway..... he was class, a true old fashioned winger. I have fond
memories of him bombing down the left touchline for Liverpool and crosing
the ball in to Keegan and Toshack.
I liked him because he was good, real good, he was Irish, he played for
Liverpool and he had a degree in Ecomonics, which as a kid I thought was
really cool and made him kind of an "brainy" footballer.
Stevie is still on my all time fav list too, along with Eddie Gray from
roughly the same period.
Paul C
2003-12-16 16:17:27 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
u never have
Post by Victoria Barrett
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Stevie Heighway..... he was class, a true old fashioned winger. I have fond
memories of him bombing down the left touchline for Liverpool and crosing
the ball in to Keegan and Toshack.
I liked him because he was good, real good, he was Irish, he played for
Liverpool and he had a degree in Ecomonics, which as a kid I thought was
really cool and made him kind of an "brainy" footballer.
I remember Heighway playing for Skelmersdale United .... before
Liverpool picked him up!
Paul
MMcC
2003-12-17 03:22:35 UTC
Post by Paul C
Post by Victoria Barrett
u never have
Post by Victoria Barrett
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Stevie Heighway..... he was class, a true old fashioned winger. I have fond
memories of him bombing down the left touchline for Liverpool and crosing
the ball in to Keegan and Toshack.
I liked him because he was good, real good, he was Irish, he played for
Liverpool and he had a degree in Ecomonics, which as a kid I thought was
really cool and made him kind of an "brainy" footballer.
I remember Heighway playing for Skelmersdale United .... before
Liverpool picked him up!
Wow, showing your age there Paul :)
They were actually a decent amateur side back in those days from what I've
heard, did you see them play?.
Did you know that Heighway earned his first cap for Ireland while playing as
an amateur at Skelmersdale?
Paul C
2003-12-17 08:00:26 UTC
Post by MMcC
Post by Paul C
Post by Victoria Barrett
u never have
Post by Paul C
Post by Victoria Barrett
memories of him bombing down the left touchline for Liverpool and crosing
the ball in to Keegan and Toshack.
I liked him because he was good, real good, he was Irish, he played for
Liverpool and he had a degree in Ecomonics, which as a kid I thought was
really cool and made him kind of an "brainy" footballer.
I remember Heighway playing for Skelmersdale United .... before
Liverpool picked him up!
Wow, showing your age there Paul :)
They were actually a decent amateur side back in those days from what I've
heard, did you see them play?.
I didn't see Heighway playing for them except for the odd TV picture,
but saw Skem on quite a few occasions. The biggest game I saw them in
was the Amateur Cup final replay at Maine Road - about 1967 - against
Enfield in front of a capacity 56,000. They lost! (That was the same
season two players were killed after being struck by lightning whilst
playing for Highgate United against Enfield in an earlier round of the
Amateur Cup - when their game was finally replayed it was moved to
Villa Park and over 30,000 watched it!)

They played in the semi-professional Lancashire Combination - along
with teams such as Wigan Athletic and Morecambe and as a semi-pro club
they were eternal also-rans. They then made the decision to become an
amateur club and they became one of the top non-league teams in the
country. Strange :)
Post by MMcC
Did you know that Heighway earned his first cap for Ireland while playing as
an amateur at Skelmersdale?
Yes :)
Paul
Colin Morris
2003-12-17 08:22:17 UTC
Post by Paul C
I didn't see Heighway playing for them except for the odd TV picture,
but saw Skem on quite a few occasions. The biggest game I saw them in
was the Amateur Cup final replay at Maine Road - about 1967 - against
Enfield in front of a capacity 56,000. They lost! (That was the same
season two players were killed after being struck by lightning whilst
playing for Highgate United against Enfield in an earlier round of the
Amateur Cup - when their game was finally replayed it was moved to
Villa Park and over 30,000 watched it!)
31,570 to be exact including me... Enfield won 6-0. Iirc, the player killed
was Tony Allden.
Richard H.
2003-12-15 20:50:18 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
well, i want it to be fernando torres, but i don't think he's justified
the hype yet.

i'm also quite keen on nakamura and nakata, naturally.
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
kiko, without a doubt. it's a shame his career ended up the way it did.

-richard
Balen Arenas
Kiko was great for a while. I was always enjoyed watching him play.
Shussbar
2003-12-15 21:28:01 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Thierry Henry
Johan Neeskens, later Michel Platini, Chris Waddle too.
Machine
2003-12-15 21:35:38 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Don't really have one, although always enjoy watching Okocha
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player?
Tied really between Stuart Pearce (bet no other Notts County fan would say
that) and Gary Linekar. Turned out ok in the end, as ended up being a tough
but clean tackling player, with natural goal scoring ability :P

Jimm
Libertarian
2003-12-15 21:42:17 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Raul. He sees things others simply don't, and at his best his mind is
usually a step or two ahead of the rest. A really imaginative player, but
one with a tremendous capacity for sacrifice to benefit the team.

Redondo still plays, and at his peak he was a FABULOUS player. Strong and
solid in defence, yet with a tremendous close touch, fantastic skill and
real vision. I imagine now he's realy rather slow.
Dwight Beers
2003-12-15 21:49:58 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
In case, no one on this NG is able to figure this out without my assistance,
my current fav player on the planet is Taylor Twellman.

My earliest football here was Danny Blanchflower.
Motterman
George Best
Loul
2003-12-15 22:41:25 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@the-
beach.net says...
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Zidane.
He turns a sport into an Art.

Great in every aspect of the game, it's a pleasure not only in the way
he "handles" (well his feet are hands) the ball but also what he does
with it to serve the game of his team.

Holding it, temporizing (so his partners are in better positions),
making short or long passes.
Watching Zidane feels like eating caviar.
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player?
Platini

On a supporter's note I would add the following players at PSG :
Lama, Loko, Roche, Rai, Simone (those volleys !) and more recently
Arteta (an unknown genius imho), Heinze (a ROCK).

I really like Pauleta (I looked up on him since he joined Bordeaux) but
I must concede he's declining since he 's loosing a good part of his
speed
©N¥ikuli, Williåm©
2003-12-15 23:45:01 UTC
Totti/Gerrard.
--
Majiin - version²°°³

http://www.anti-antiwar.com
Lléo
2003-12-16 00:04:14 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
I'd say Juninho Pernambucano. It's a mistery to me why he isn't a guaranteed
starter for Brasil. I feel he could play for just anybody.

He was Vasco's key player in its recent golden period, although always
shadowed by Romario and Edmundo. It ashames me immensely to see how Vasco
treated him, he was practically ran out of the club because the gangsters in
charge of the club could no longer afford his wages. Even then, he still
refers to the club as the one he's most identified with, that his problems
were with the board, not the club or the fans.

I have a lot of fond memories of him playing for Vasco, but two of them are
stuck to my mind. The first was the Libertadores'98 semifinal, second leg,
away to River Plate at a crowded Monumental. We were 0-1 down and under
immense pressure, holding our own to try to get to the penalties (agg was
1-1). I will never forget the long distance free-kick that set our way to
the final. Granted, the keeper was Burgos, but it was still a marvellous
shot, in the angle. Zico would've been proud.

The second, the Merco$ul 2000 final. 0-3 down away to Palmeiras at halftime,
we manage to pull score level with 5 minutes to go. Juninho rushes to the
small section reserved for Vasco fans and fires them up, waves his arms
around, as if saying "c'mon, it's not lost yet!", showing the club crest.
Three minutes later, it's 4-3 to us...

French fans will have a more balanced opinion of him, as they get to see him
play every week for Lyon, while I have only a biased set of memories to work
with. Still, one can say that he's one hell of a player, that more often
than not rises to the occasion, which would be very useful to most teams in
the world.
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Roberto Dinamite, mostly... Romario too, 'till 'WC'94.

Lléo
John Knapp
2003-12-16 14:26:02 UTC
Post by Lléo
Post by Victoria Barrett
[...]
Was this the Vasco team that went on to lose to DC United in the
"Championship of the Americas" or whatever it was called? Did Juninho P
play in those matches?
b***@hotmail.com
2005-03-09 14:33:44 UTC
Post by John Knapp
Post by Lléo
Post by Victoria Barrett
[...]
Post by John Knapp
play in those matches?
Yes, I think Juninho Pernambucano played those matches, as well as
Luisao, Felipe etc...
JK
Did I just see Felipe playing somewhere in Europe recently?
Lléo
2005-03-09 22:47:41 UTC
Post by JK
Post by John Knapp
play in those matches?
Yes, I think Juninho Pernambucano played those matches, as well as
Luisao, Felipe etc...
Did I just see Felipe playing somewhere in Europe recently?
He had a stint in Turkey methinks, but nothing of lasting importance. You
won't see him anywhere near a football pitch for the next 180 days though,
as he's just been suspended for punching an opponent in Fluminense's recent
Copa do Brasil match.

--
Lléo

John Knapp
2003-12-16 14:30:03 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Since I saw so little soccer on TV as a child living in the states it
woudl probably be someone from the '78 or '82 WC. Socrates probably.
Loved the name!
Lléo
Lucky Devin
2003-12-16 00:43:27 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
I am a big Recoba fan, he's currently my favorite. Some others would include
Roberto Carlos and Luis Figo.
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player?
Jurgen Klinsmann (sooo long ago ;)
--
Just like a sunny day, I'm gonna shine,
Devin Tregre

"It all returns to nothing,
I just keep letting me down,
letting me down, letting me down."

*Live! at Ibiza!
Renaud Dreyer
2003-12-16 01:06:48 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Thuram. The Thinker from July 8, 1998. A very intelligent player, on and
off the field, who's not afraid to talk about something else than
football, and does it well.
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Tigana. One of the greatest defensive midfielder of all times, but still
able to distribute the ball. That pass on June 23, 1984. Ciao,

Renaud
Gronaldo
2003-12-16 12:27:05 UTC
Post by Renaud Dreyer
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Thuram. The Thinker from July 8, 1998. A very intelligent player, on and
off the field, who's not afraid to talk about something else than
football, and does it well.
I still have La Une de l'Equipe the day after his two goals. At the end
of the match it was like a revolution near l'Hotel de Ville. Everybody
was shouting "Thuram Président!" and "Vive la Guadeloupe". Unbelievable!
Renaud
Renaud Dreyer
2003-12-16 19:51:48 UTC
Post by Gronaldo
Post by Renaud Dreyer
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Thuram. The Thinker from July 8, 1998. A very intelligent player, on and
off the field, who's not afraid to talk about something else than
football, and does it well.
I still have La Une de l'Equipe the day after his two goals. At the end
of the match it was like a revolution near l'Hotel de Ville. Everybody
was shouting "Thuram Président!" and "Vive la Guadeloupe". Unbelievable!
I'm still looking for any picture of Thuram in his Thinker pose.
Incredibly, I haven't been able to find a single one on the Net.
Ciao,

Renaud
Renaud
Gronaldo
2003-12-17 08:00:35 UTC
Post by Renaud Dreyer
Post by Gronaldo
Post by Renaud Dreyer
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Thuram. The Thinker from July 8, 1998. A very intelligent player, on and
off the field, who's not afraid to talk about something else than
football, and does it well.
I still have La Une de l'Equipe the day after his two goals. At the end
of the match it was like a revolution near l'Hotel de Ville. Everybody
was shouting "Thuram Président!" and "Vive la Guadeloupe". Unbelievable!
I'm still looking for any picture of Thuram in his Thinker pose.
Incredibly, I haven't been able to find a single one on the Net.
Ciao,
I'll try to scan the first page of l'Equipe and put it on a website.
you have still the following pictures:
Renaud
Renaud Dreyer
2003-12-17 08:07:32 UTC
Post by Gronaldo
Post by Renaud Dreyer
Post by Gronaldo
Post by Renaud Dreyer
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Thuram. The Thinker from July 8, 1998. A very intelligent player, on and
off the field, who's not afraid to talk about something else than
football, and does it well.
I still have La Une de l'Equipe the day after his two goals. At the end
of the match it was like a revolution near l'Hotel de Ville. Everybody
was shouting "Thuram Président!" and "Vive la Guadeloupe". Unbelievable!
I'm still looking for any picture of Thuram in his Thinker pose.
Incredibly, I haven't been able to find a single one on the Net.
Ciao,
I'll try to scan the first page of l'Equipe and put it on a website.
http://membres.lycos.fr/cm98forever/FC/mpa6207l.jpg
http://www.planetema.net/~pjoly/coupe_du_monde/demi_finale/tutu_a_genou_but.JP
May your name be chanted in extasy by the next 76 generations. Merci,

Renaud
Daniel
Alan Smith
Catenaccio
Jurgen Klinsmann
Futbolmetrix
2003-12-16 08:11:02 UTC
Post by Catenaccio
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Gianluca Zambrotta
???
I am stunned by this choice. Makes me want to say Javier Zanetti, or Toldo,
or Vieri. But I just can't do that. I'll have to go with Martins.

Daniele
Catenaccio
2003-12-17 06:38:03 UTC
Post by Catenaccio
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Gianluca Zambrotta
???
I am stunned by this choice.
Why?
Post by Futbolmetrix
Makes me want to say Javier Zanetti, or Toldo,
or Vieri. But I just can't do that. I'll have to go with Martins.
Daniele
He is just my current favourite, I've admired some pretty poor ones in
the past though.
Lucky Devin
2003-12-16 08:36:41 UTC
Post by Lucky Devin
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Jurgen Klinsmann
Great minds think alike ^_^. His great on-field skill, his fantastic finishing.
Overall though, his class, as a player on the field and especially off the
field.

*still remembering that goal vs England in the Eurocup in England*
--
Just like a sunny day, I'm gonna shine,
Devin Tregre

"I don't worry 'bout a thing, I just hit me a lick,
I got a, fat sack and a superfly chick."

*Live! at Ibiza!
Catenaccio
2003-12-17 06:36:15 UTC
Post by Lucky Devin
Post by Lucky Devin
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Jurgen Klinsmann
Great minds think alike ^_^.
Thank you
Post by Lucky Devin
His great on-field skill, his fantastic finishing.
Overall though, his class, as a player on the field and especially off the
field.
*still remembering that goal vs England in the Eurocup in England*
I like his athleticism as a striker and his bravery most, his
technique is also sometimes overlooked.
Ginru
2003-12-16 06:16:27 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Tevez. I really admire that kid's heart. Milan's passionless display
in the Toyota Cup has left me a tad bitter about how my team is
basically made up of a bunch of overpaid starlets (except for Maldini
and Gattuso of course). It's a joy to see effective yet humble players
like Tevez, Zamorano, Shearer, etc emerge to balance out pop divas
like Ronaldo, Pires, Cassano, and Seedorf.
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Franco Baresi. That guy radiated class and power. I almost felt like
standing and saluting every time he anticipated a play. Another was
perhaps Giuseppe Signori though I think he may still be playing with
Bologna. He won my heart when I saw how amazingly hard he ran himself
during Italy's opening WC'94 loss to Ireland. Baggio was getting all
of the media attention that day while Beppe was selflessly doing the
grunt work. Losing with pride is something I highly applaud.
Coppernob
2003-12-16 06:34:47 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Right now Kaka'. He is so young, suffers greatly if well pressed but
when he gets the ball my heart feels that something might happen: a
pass, a shot, a dribble... something. He has taken courage and scored
three tremendous goals (a delightful voley against Brugge and two long
distance missiles in the campionato,). I hate to sa it but in three
months he has achieved more than Rui has in two years and I was a huge
fan and hater of rui when he was with Fiorentina. His cuts sailing
across the pitch to Chiesa at full speed would kill us...
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Earliest hero was Schnellinger, then Benetti. But probably the all
time had to be Baresi: He was just so dominant, with him you knew you
always had an extra person in deense. My other love was Savicevic.
awful halfhours but such sublime 5 minutes.......
Mike Pitt
2003-12-16 10:01:27 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Hard. Lots of my team have a claim for different reasons this season.

Patrick Vieira has been a favourite of mine since he signed as he is
simply astounding in midfield.
Thierry Henry for being simply superb
Kolo Toure has come on leaps and bounds and is going to be very impressive
Sol Campbell for leaving Spurs
Robert Pires for the double season
Freddie Ljungberg for being combative

Dennis Bergkamp was for a while for the things he could do with the ball,
but now Arsenal fans are a little spoilt.

Looking further afield:

Beckham has grown as a player since 1998
Scholes is depressingly effective
Maldini does his job superbly
Zidane is a superb entertainer
Gary Nelson writes a nice autobiography
Steve Claridge should still be playing somewhere
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Lee Dixon (Arsenal 597+21 games in 1988-2002, and England 21 caps)

When I was playing for my school team he had just started playing for
Arsenal in my position. Massively underated player. I liked the entire
Arsenal back four and he was the key that made it click in 88/9.

Mike
news.verizon.net
2003-12-16 11:31:36 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
My current favorite player to watch is Ruud Van Nistelrooy. I love his
tenacity and relentlessness.

I wasn't a big soccer fan growing up but I do have long-ago memories of
admiring the play of Karl Rumminegge (pardon my poor spelling).

Doug T.
John Knapp
2003-12-16 14:32:08 UTC
Post by news.verizon.net
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
I wasn't a big soccer fan growing up but I do have long-ago memories of
admiring the play of Karl Rumminegge (pardon my poor spelling).
Ditto that. Actually, now that I think about it, Platini was one of
thefirst players I really admired.
elixir
2003-12-16 14:39:55 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
My current favorite player is Ronaldinho.

Favorite childhood player would have to be Zico.
Loul
2003-12-16 14:48:51 UTC
Post by elixir
My current favorite player is Ronaldinho.
He still has a good margin of progression.
The best is to come :-)
Jussi Uosukainen
2003-12-16 15:09:16 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Gerrard. And since I only started following soccer 2 years ago, Gerrard.
If pressed, I would say Litmanen, because he was the only great soccer
player Finland has in the beginning of the 90s.

/jussi
Paul C
2003-12-16 16:23:13 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
Okay today we had a few Zidane-ophiles come out of the woodwork and
say that he's their favourite player, and Loul in the Best Ligue 1 XI
thread has been outted as worshipping on the altar of Pauleta. :)
So, who is your CURRENT favourite playe
Current? Alan Shearer.
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player? Or did you never have
only one player who was your idol (then and now)?
Childhood:

Bobby Charlton
Jimmy McIlroy
Ray Pointer
Bryan Douglas
Ronnie Clayton
Jimmy Greaves
Puskas
Di Stefano
Gento
Paul
Fabio5
2003-12-18 19:07:38 UTC
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Thierry Henry, Arsenal, the One and the Only.
Post by Victoria Barrett
And, who was your childhood favourite player?
Lothar Matthaus, Inter, my favourite player, I was in San Siro when he was
awarded with the Golden Ball.
--
Fabio5 [ICQ 175236943] - Co-moderatore di it.sport.calcio.inter
18/12/03, Henrik Larsson talks about Thierry Henry: "You can't give him an
impossible to defend against because he has so much variety in his game."
Robert
2003-12-19 11:38:56 UTC
Post by Fabio5
Post by Victoria Barrett
So, who is your CURRENT favourite player?
Thierry Henry, Arsenal, the One and the Only.
Very good taste.

You've gonre from trolling the Arsenal ng after Inter hammered to Henry
convert.

Excellent news.
Fabio5
2003-12-20 09:41:00 UTC
Post by Robert
You've gonre from trolling the Arsenal ng after Inter hammered to Henry
convert.
I've never trolled.
The troll was another man with name "Fabio", you can see with google that
I've always written in NG with nickname "Fabio5" and I'm always been an
Henry fan.
Robert
2003-12-20 11:36:45 UTC
Post by Fabio5
Post by Robert
You've gonre from trolling the Arsenal ng after Inter hammered to Henry
convert.
I've never trolled.
The troll was another man with name "Fabio", you can see with google that
I've always written in NG with nickname "Fabio5" and I'm always been an
Henry fan.
OK my mistake. I note your English is way better than the loser 'Fabio'. ;)

Better than mine by the state of my sentence above. :)
Quake
2003-12-22 22:50:10 UTC
Post by Fabio5
I've never trolled.
Any Roma fan would not agree.
--
I sent the club a wire stating, Please accept my resignation. I don't
care to belong to any club that will have me as a member. (Groucho Marx)